What's new

Smoked Salt

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I went to a new Farmers Market today and there was a guy selling smoked salt. He had several different flavored smoked salts to sample. I ended up buying 3 to try. Bourbon Bacon, Ranch and Scorpion pepper. They were quite flavorful when I sampled them but haven't used them in or on any food.
Anyone use smoked salt? Any particular uses? I think I will use some of the Bourbon Bacon on a grilled burger tomorrow and check it out.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I actually make my own smoked salt. Cold smoke it when I cold smoke cheese. It's nice to add it to meat when grilling and you want a touch of smoke flavor. I like it best on thick cut pork chops, but it works on everything.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I actually make my own smoked salt. Cold smoke it when I cold smoke cheese. It's nice to add it to meat when grilling and you want a touch of smoke flavor. I like it best on thick cut pork chops, but it works on everything.
Thats cool. How long do you have to cold smoke it for it to obtain the flavor? I am going to have to start throwing this stuff on lots of stuff. I think it would be good on grilled veggies too, but meat was my main thought when I bought them.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thats cool. How long do you have to cold smoke it for it to obtain the flavor? I am going to have to start throwing this stuff on lots of stuff. I think it would be good on grilled veggies too, but meat was my main thought when I bought them.
I usually go about 3 hrs. Anywhere from 2-4 is fine. I put the salt on one of these grease splatter guards to get good penetration of smoke on all sides of the salt instead of on a plate.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I may bring some to the herf in September if Eran is going to brand another delicious cow aka TriTip. But has a pretty good handle on that stuff so he may not let me near it with salt.
I think i am going taco bar this year. 3 types is the plan, carne asada, barbacoa and adobada if i can pull them all off. But i would love to sample that stuff!

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I haven't tried any of the flavored smoked salt, but they sound interesting.
We don't go out for a steak dinner because I prefer home grilled.
Cover a ribeye with a thin coating of olive oil ( this helps the salt to adhere), then liberally coat the meat with the salt before grilling. Sweet potato with butter and a little cinnamon and asparagus for sides please.
A pour of bourbon and a full bodied cigar for dessert! :cigar::)

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love SALTS....it makes meals and esp. steaks so good you can buy cheaper cuts of meat...sirloins and such and it always makes them better. We discovered a brand while on a Cunard Cruise on the QM2 and ate in their Specialty Restaurant Todd English where their steaks are amazing and the waitress wanted to know if we wanted to use some "salts" and she suggested the Yakima Salts from Artisan Salts...OMG! Just some sprinkles made an already great steak come alive with so much flavor we came home and bought a 5 pak sampler which will last at least a year. It's under the Smoke Collection but when you explore ALL of the salts it's something you'll want to get. Some of our fav's are:
Himalayan Pink Salt: Spanish Rosemary Sea Salt Sriracha Sea Salt: Chipotle Sea Salt:
Snowflake® Pacific Northwest Sea Salt:

Link: https://www.seasalt.com/

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I love SALTS....it makes meals and esp. steaks so good you can buy cheaper cuts of meat...sirloins and such and it always makes them better. We discovered a brand while on a Cunard Cruise on the QM2 and ate in their Specialty Restaurant Todd English where their steaks are amazing and the waitress wanted to know if we wanted to use some "salts" and she suggested the Yakima Salts from Artisan Salts...OMG! Just some sprinkles made an already great steak come alive with so much flavor we came home and bought a 5 pak sampler which will last at least a year. It's under the Smoke Collection but when you explore ALL of the salts it's something you'll want to get. Some of our fav's are:
Himalayan Pink Salt: Spanish Rosemary Sea Salt Sriracha Sea Salt: Chipotle Sea Salt:
Snowflake® Pacific Northwest Sea Salt:

Link: https://www.seasalt.com/
+1 for seasalt.com, it was their smokehouse trio that I gave my mom and sister a couple years ago