What's new

Smoking Enough?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Y'all,
So I'm newer into cigars and just started this past August. Being newer I was really into it at first and really enjoyed my first couple of smoking experiences. One of my favorite cigars that I've had is a La Rosa De San Diego Habano, as I really liked some of the spicy notes in it. I liked smoking so much that I actually purchased a small humidor (but have yet to put anything in, as I am on a college student budget). I took sort of a long break over winter due to budget constraints, visiting my parents, school, etc. When I got back to my apartment in January I went to the store and picked up a couple of cigars, including the aforementioned Habano, and another cigar, and I really disliked the experience. I even tried again a couple weeks later and still didn't like the taste. Is it possible to loose your taste for cigars? If you don't smoke them often enough do you think there's some sort of period where you just sort of have to get used to the taste again before you start enjoying it? Thanks for any help.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Lol are you smoking junk now? XD
Kinda kidding... But maybe it's the humidity of the store. I hate smoking a cigar fresh from a shop since they are always over humidified which will ruin the perceived flavor/make it tarry. I would stock your humidor and control the humidity and let sticks rest for a bit. Fresh cigars also can go through a 'sick' period (fermentation) which generates a bunch of ammonia.
Also, cigar smoking is such a mental thing. Were you stressed out when you smoked the stick you hated? Were you drinking prune juice and killing your tastebuds? Was there a dog next door barking during your whole experience?
I would also try some different cigars, not to bash that cigar but... there are other cigars out there :p

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Kinda kidding... But maybe it's the humidity of the store. I hate smoking a cigar fresh from a shop since they are always over humidified which will ruin the perceived flavor/make it tarry. I would stock your humidor and control the humidity and let sticks rest for a bit. Fresh cigars also can go through a 'sick' period (fermentation) which generates a bunch of ammonia.
Also, cigar smoking is such a mental thing. Were you stressed out when you smoked the stick you hated? Were you drinking prune juice and killing your tastebuds? Was there a dog next door barking during your whole experience?
I would also try some different cigars, not to bash that cigar but... there are other cigars out there :p
Ditto on what Hoppy said! Your palette changes as well, there are cigars I enjoyed at first that I don’t like now.

Sent from Area 51 using telepathy
These are wise dudes. Take their advice. (That is all I can contribute to this thread because these two hit this outta the park.)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Welcome I’m in college too. When I started I liked more full bodied sticks then went through a small period of medium bodied because full bodied was just so strong but now I’m slowly working my way back up to full bodied.

Rating - 92.9%
20   1   0
It may also have something to do with how fast you are smoking. Slow and steady.
What he said. May sound funny, but google 'how to smoke a cigar'. Read a couple articles. Watch a video or two. You may find out something you don't even know you're doing wrong is affecting your experience adversely.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I whole heartedly agree with the shop thing. I usually bring my own to smoke at shops and as long as I buy something while I'm there they dont care. Wet torps are awfully for tarring fyi but more importantly........

Who the f&@! drinks prune juice? I know you're not that old yet.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I whole heartedly agree with the shop thing. I usually bring my own to smoke at shops and as long as I buy something while I'm there they dont care. Wet torps are awfully for tarring fyi but more importantly........

Who the f&@! drinks prune juice? I know you're not that old yet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Great question, and answers. I think the guys covered it pretty well. Not much to add. Every experience wont be cigar nirvana, however when you find a few sticks you like and age them a bit yourself and not straight out of the shop humidor, like others have stated above. You should notice a nice uptick in the consistency of good smoking experiences. Also a few other tips like not smoking too fast, again as others have mentioned. Good luck brother!

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
along with not smoking too fast, don't burn the shit out of the foot of the cigar when you light it. I do this sometimes as I'm worried about not getting the whole ring lit and causing runs, but when I overcook it the whole cigar gets affected for sure.

And yeah, try some other sticks. There are plenty of fine cigars that are def. on the cheap side of things...I'd recommend buying a sampler or a fiver online somewhere since sticks from online retailers are in general cheaper than you will find in any BnM. I'm sure some of these plebs on her can recommend you some good cheap sticks, I wouldn't know because I only smoke super premium expensive sticks