What's new

Smoking in your car - Xikar Ash Can vs. Stinky Auto Ashtray

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Gar cup and have a Csonka plug in ozone generator. They both work great. If the odor gets real bad I put a banana peel in the truck overnight. Works like magic.

mthhurley

BoM December 2011
Rating - 100%
208   0   0
I use a Gar cup and have a Csonka plug in ozone generator. They both work great.
Been meaning to ask about these ozone generators.

Ozone, if I can smell it, gives me an instant headache. So do you run that thing when you're in the car? Can't run it when the car is off cause there's no power to the outlet right?

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I use a Gar cup and have a Csonka plug in ozone generator. They both work great.
Been meaning to ask about these ozone generators.

Ozone, if I can smell it, gives me an instant headache. So do you run that thing when you're in the car? Can't run it when the car is off cause there's no power to the outlet right?
I use the Csonka car ozone generator as well. I have found that the biggest source of odor is in the leftover ash though. Wipe out the ashtray or seal up the Xikar can and the odor goes away (for the most part).

I have 2 power outlets in my new Mazda. One on the dash that only runs when the car is on and another one in the console that is always on. After an extended smoking trip I will open up the center console and plug the Csonka into that outlet in "always on" mode for a couple of days. Otherwise I just have it plugged in to run when the car is on. It will usually remove all leftover traces of the smell after a couple of days.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have two outlets. The one that is always on is where the Csonka is plugged in. I agree with the removal of all ash and butts too.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Xikar Ashcan and am split on it. I dont like the holder at all because all it does is destroy the ash so when you pick up the cigar again bits go flying EVERYWHERE. I also have one of the later models that doesn't have the screw on lid. The lid does stay for the most part and keeps the smell in, I'd feel better about it if I had a screw lid though. I want to try the Stinky because it looks perfect, but the Xikar was a gift that he asks about often...:lookaroun

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I picked up a bobken on Sunday and took it with me on a road trip that afternoon and then drove back with it last night...

I smoked 5 larger sized cigars (all toro or chuchills) over the course of being on the road for about 15 hours..

I can tell a huge difference...

I just clipped it to the window.. and used the rest whenever I wasnt actually taking a puff.. and the vast majority of the smoke got sucked right out the window...whenever I stopped for gas I dumped the nubs and ash.. but thats it.. I didnt wash or wipe it out or anything..

amazing difference though between using it.. and just using the window and the car ash tray like I have previously..

now Ive got to look at the czonka ozone deal...

my wife and dogs may actually get back in the car again with me one day :)

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have had a Bobken for a couple years now and its worked great with the exception of dumping it on my leg a few times as mentioned. Hang on the door, crack the window, turn on the floor vent and no smoke, no odor. I dump it after about 3 nubs in it but even with them in there, no odor.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I like the look of that Stinky over the Xikar. The one thing I still can't stand about either, is that they don't clip to the door like the Bobken. I was never going to try out the Xikar because of that silly spiral inside to hold the cigar. My bobken works well, just lacks a clip which can be an issue if I set the cigar down then hit a bumpy patch of road.
I've only ever used Bobkens and been fairly happy. However, the last three times I hooked on to window or door I ended up dumping it on my left leg. No more. The edge that goes down into the window is too short to make it very stable. I'm sorry to hear that the Xikar spring-thing is a disappointment to some....I've got a bid on a couple of them over at cbid. Almost hope I lose now....
Well, I didn't lose. Got two Xikars at $7 each. Wife and I have had a chance to test drive the Xikars for a week now and results are mixed. She likes it a little more than I -- but, in addition to cigars, she smokes cigarettes in her car. Having a cap means that now, more often than not, she will refrain from throwing the butt out the window. (Big plus, in my book. I did understand the stink of cigarette butts in the Bobken, however.) She does miss the cigar rest of the Bobken, though.

I don't smoke cigarettes....and I have never cared much how bad my car smells. I really miss the cigar rest - the Xikar coil thing just doesn't work for me. I may get used to it.....especially since I'm now in a new (used) car. But, I may go back to the Bobken before I really get the Xikar broken in.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
We've never had a problem with them dumping, at least not when in use. We put them right at the edge of the door where it meets up with the dash. I know we bump them off occasionally when the doors are open and we are getting things from the pockets, or reaching in to grab something. I don't think it has ever fallen out while in use or driving. Ours are wedged in between the door panel and the window seal, it feels to hold better there than between the window and the seal.

Maybe it's the thickness of our door panels that hold it so well? It's just the same depth as the Bobken, so the cup itself is resting on the door. I have to admit, I've only ever used it in this truck and the last one-and both had the same doors. Our 2 have lasted ~350,000 miles in the past 7 years. I do still like the idea of that Stinky with the clip-my biggest complaint on the bobken is when I set a cigar down for a moment, and hit a pothole. Or a small cigar vibrates down into the pit. Or you get out for fuel, shut the door, and it's gone. I just don't have enough cup holders to give up one for the ashtray-all real estate between the seats is like a gold claim.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ive really got to break down and get one of these things..

my car smells like stale cigars, and wet dog ass (the dogs go everywhere with me)..

Ive just been using cars ash tray...

I dont know who hates it worse.. my wife.. or the dogs lol...

every time I pull out the torch, they all start whining and rubbing their face with their paws... :)

Lol, now only if they would come up with something for that wet dog ass, you would be set!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I really miss the cigar rest - the Xikar coil thing just doesn't work for me. I may get used to it.....especially since I'm now in a new (used) car. But, I may go back to the Bobken before I really get the Xikar broken in.
After a few months I still haven't tried a Stinky. However, I did put the Xikar away and have gone back to my trusty Bobken. Need a cigar rest and never got around to liking the coil things.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just joined the site today and this is my first post.

I own both the Xikar Ash Can and the Stinky Ash Can. They both have their pros and cons, and the both work great.

I am an avid cigar smoker and usually enjoy at least one cigar in my car on my ride home from work every day. Currently I am using my Stinky Ash Can.

The Stinky sits nicely in my cup holder and the cigar rest works wonderfully as I drive a 6speed and require boths hands. The cigar rest itself hold the cigar perfectly. I have never had an issue with them clamping down on the cigar to heavily. They are made out of some thin spring steel and can be bent to acomidate any size cigar including everything from a petit corona to a 7x70. When closed it holds in all the ash smells. One downside to this ash can though is that if you want to use it other than in a cup holder the lid is to heavy and it tips over. I solved this by placing a heavy magnet at the bottom of the can. Now it works wherever I want to take it.

The Xikar Ash can is ok. Its a bit cheaper but still works out okay. One thing I never liked about this was the cigar holder. While the cigar is secure... the ash end of the cigar touches the metal grate at the bottom of the can. I have noticed on several occasions that the can heats up very quickly. Other than that this is a great alternative. Holds in the smoke smell just as well as the Stinky.

I use both cans quite often. The Stinky stays in my car and the Xikar usually stays in my backpack for when I go to the beach or anywhere else and need a place to set my cigar down.

Reactions: Sin
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Just joined the site today and this is my first post.

I own both the Xikar Ash Can and the Stinky Ash Can. They both have their pros and cons, and the both work great.

I am an avid cigar smoker and usually enjoy at least one cigar in my car on my ride home from work every day. Currently I am using my Stinky Ash Can.

The Stinky sits nicely in my cup holder and the cigar rest works wonderfully as I drive a 6speed and require boths hands. The cigar rest itself hold the cigar perfectly. I have never had an issue with them clamping down on the cigar to heavily. They are made out of some thin spring steel and can be bent to acomidate any size cigar including everything from a petit corona to a 7x70. When closed it holds in all the ash smells. One downside to this ash can though is that if you want to use it other than in a cup holder the lid is to heavy and it tips over. I solved this by placing a heavy magnet at the bottom of the can. Now it works wherever I want to take it.

The Xikar Ash can is ok. Its a bit cheaper but still works out okay. One thing I never liked about this was the cigar holder. While the cigar is secure... the ash end of the cigar touches the metal grate at the bottom of the can. I have noticed on several occasions that the can heats up very quickly. Other than that this is a great alternative. Holds in the smoke smell just as well as the Stinky.

I use both cans quite often. The Stinky stays in my car and the Xikar usually stays in my backpack for when I go to the beach or anywhere else and need a place to set my cigar down.
Thanks for the insight brother, make sure to head over to our introduction area and do an official intro to this great community.