What's new

Smoking on Oahu

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
So were going to Hawaii next week. Ive found a couple shops but hear that lounges are not a thing in Hawaii and smoking in public is not allowed. Id like to have a cigar or two if possible. Any recent visitors or current residents that can offer a suggestion?
FWIW... were staying at the Hawaiian Hilton.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So were going to Hawaii next week. Ive found a couple shops but hear that lounges are not a thing in Hawaii and smoking in public is not allowed. Id like to have a cigar or two if possible. Any recent visitors or current residents that can offer a suggestion?
FWIW... were staying at the Hawaiian Hilton.
The Prince Waikiki, an easy walk from the Hilton, used to allow smoking in a couple of areas. I looked on their website but couldn’t find any info on their current smoking policy so you might wanna check with them first before going there.

The following 3 Irish pubs are owned by the same person (…or at least they used to be…) so have similar smoking policies / back stories:

Kelley O’Neil’s on Lewers Street used to allow smoking…at your own risk of getting cited…but I haven’t been there in almost 10 years so. No sense in calling or e-mailing as the PC response will be “Indoor smoking is not allowed in Hawaii.” But if you walk in and see others with cigs and ashtrays then they’ll let you smoke cigars (…unless they decided to ban them…). When I was there last, we asked if we could smoke and the waitress gave us the “Indoor smoking is not allowed…” spiel as she handed us an ashtray. :LOL:

Irish Rose Salon on Ena Road may also allow smoking but I’ve never been there. Interestingly enough, on their website, the landing page shows people at the bar with one guy holding a cigarette in his hand.

Outside of Waikiki, Anna O’Brien’s allowed us to smoke at the bar but that was about 4 years ago. We didn’t even have to ask if smoking was allowed as we smelled cigarette smoke before we even opened the door. Saw a guy smoking a cigar so we knew we’d be cool. Did ask the bartender if it was okay to smoke at the bar but he was totally fine with that.

As you probably know, Tobaccos of Hawaii (…about a mile away from Anna’s…) has a lounge area but afaik, they do charge for sitting and smoking there. I don’t know their policy about bringing in your own cigars or alcohol.

Cigar Cigar on King Street, owned by a fella named Joe Hilton, has a very small smoking area but if you’re the only customer there, you can watch whatever you want and converse with Joe. His prices are rather high but Joe (supposedly) will only sell the cigars when, in his opinion, they’re ready to be smoked. He has a nice walk-in humidor and while it’s been years since I was there, stocked Fuentes although, afaik, he’s not an authorized AF dealer.

The Row (Bar) at Waterfront does fo’ sure allow for smoking. Completely open with an okay bar and not bad food. Would be a really nice walk but you may want to Uber or drive instead. Free 3-hour limit parking.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your vacation!

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Yo Z... as mentioned above in the last paragraph, The Row Bar is your best bet for relaxing with a cigar. You won't have a view of the water or anything special, but you'll have outdoor tables with a bar and restaurant options. They had good bourbon when I was there, but I imagine it's hit or miss. A local that is one of the most knowledgeable in cigars and spirits on the island, took me there right before Covid hit, so probably not much has changed in regards to options.

You can also walk to the massive Ala Moana park and find a bench or sitting spot along the water. You are taking a gamble as you're not supposed to smoke in a public beach park, but hey. If you are desperate, there are a couple smoking benches/areas between the Hilton and the Ilikai Hotel. I believe there was one table when I was there and sat with another couple.

Have fun dude.