What's new

*Sob*

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I went to plug in my external hard drive to check something on it to find the hard drive died. I had 50+ GB of music and a 100GB of other stuff on there. The good thing is that I backed up 2 DVDs worth of music a while back, and I still have about 30GB on my hard laptop.

Now I gotta try and get Lacie to fix the drive, and figure out a backup strategy (Maybe I need an external drive with two drives)

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
joshua said:
I went to plug in my external hard drive to check something on it to find the hard drive died. I had 50+ GB of music and a 100GB of other stuff on there. The good thing is that I backed up 2 DVDs worth of music a while back, and I still have about 30GB on my hard laptop.

Now I gotta try and get Lacie to fix the drive, and figure out a backup strategy (Maybe I need an external drive with two drives)
Does your MB support a RAID setup? I have two 160 GB drives in a RAID 0 (striped), so am screwed if one drive fails. RAID 1 is probably the most failsafe method of backup. Ghost is another, but you need discipline to create an image ghost at regular intervals.

RAID on Wikipedia

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I only have a powerbook at the moment, my PC is one I built like 5-6 years ago so its a klunker. When I do build a new desktop i'll probably go with some nice sata drives in RAID 5 which is striping plus parity