What's new

Somebody stop meeeeeeeee!

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I went back to the antique store today and found some more pipes I missed the other day. Uhhhhhhhh.... EIGHT of them!!! LOL!!!

Yes, I'm hooked. They are all in good shape with the exception of a couple of stems that look like they were chewed on. A couple of them look like they've already been cleaned and polished. The others don't look like it'll take much at all. I do have a question though, why do some have a carburetor and some don't?

There is one Medico, four Dr. Grabo, three Kaywoodie and one Thermofilter. Oh, and a six place round stand to go with my other six place square stand. Grand total for today was $31. lol!

Yes I know they're cheap, but I'm just starting out and this is the way to do it for me. :)

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Hal said:
I do have a question though, why do some have a carburetor and some don't?

There is one Medico, four Dr. Grabo, three Kaywoodie and one Thermofilter. Oh, and a six place round stand
Most pipes do not have these metal condensors (a carburetor is a fuel/air mixing device). The original purpose was to remove some of the heat and water from the burning tobacco smoke. Many folks simply toss them as they do not always work, they are a pain to clean and they restrict airflow - which actually causes more moisture to form.

You can't totally remove them from the Kaywoodies as they are needed to screw the stem onto the pipe ... but I have seen people use a hacksaw to cut all but the threaded part off.

For the price, it souds like you got a nice deal.

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Pics of the group. Someone once told me I might have obsessive compulsive tendancies. I don't think so...

:bigeyes:

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Carburetor, condenser... eh... whatever. You're right. I saw it called a carb somewhere. Didn't know why. At least I know what it is now. :)