What's new

Sources for leaf to roll

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So as this is a cigar rolling sub forum, I thought I'd ask about everyone's favorite sources of tobacco leaf. I'm familiar with Leaf Only as that was my first source. Next I'm ordering from either Whole Leaf Tobacco (if the Terroso Profundo kit becomes available again soon) or maybe Rollers Choice.
So what have you guys found to be your preferred source for home rolling cigar leaf?

Other threads that I found that pertain to this seem to be out of date but here's what I've found:
http://www.botl.org/threads/looking-for-leaf-suppliers-and-rolling-supplies.52009/
http://www.botl.org/threads/any-experience-with-leafonly-com.50670/

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I use WLT only for filler leaf, mostly corojo, criollo, and Nica Habano. LO I use for binder, wrapper, and some Nica criollo as well as Ecuadorian Habano fillers. Jorge's ligero is the best tasting ligero I have ever used by a long shot, but approach with caution as it is also insanely strong. I like working with his binder as well, but it is thick and heavy and not as good of a value compared to the Dominican binder from LO. I can't speak to the flavor though as I have yet to smoke a stick I have used his binder on. If it is as good flavor-wise as his ligero I will continue to use it despite the added expense it brings.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I won't say here because I've learned not to talk politics and religion on the internet. But I will suggest that you get one each and only one each of seco/viso/ligero/binder and maybe one dark and one light wrapper and just work with that for a year or two; but first ask around to find which are the best of each of those primings. There are many leafs out there that have not been adequately fermented: if you want to skip the process of learning how to ferment leaf after you've bought it, then you need to discover one case of properly fermented leaf for each priming and just buy a pound of each of those to start. Because if you get one bad/poorly-fermented leaf in your blend, you're screwed. You'll be disappointed and not understand why it didn't live up to your hopes and dreams, and then you'll waste more money trying to sort that question out, and you won't arrive at the answer until you realize what's going on, which is poorly fermented leaf. I'm telling you this as a person who has spent thousands on all the leaf at all the places and rolled over 1250 sticks in more than 300 blends over the last year. Buena suerte.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Nonsense. "Buy everything in sight and ferment like a pro" may be excellent advice for a guy who's already 1250 sticks and thousands of dollars into the obsession. It doesn't sound to me as tho Jim D the OP is anywhere near that far gone quite yet. He's still looking for a kit. He's willing to roll the dice for $30 to roll a couple dozen sticks, not blow thousands to roll thousands. Far as I know, Jorge is selling pounds, not kits. Then, too, Jim offers us the important clue that Terroso Profundo intrigues him: corojo seco and ligero with dom seco, bound in dom, and wrapped in H2k. Does LO offer a kit similar to that? I dunno. Nothing approaching Jorge's super flavorish ligero in Jim's clue.

Here's what I suggest: Call up Don at WLT and ask him what's missing from the TP kit that he might make up with something else in stock. He may be able to fix you up. Sellers always want to oblige a new buyer. If that doesn't work out, then hit that Honduras Gran Habano kit. For $28, how can you go wrong? He says it comes out close to a partagas #4. I've not had one that I know of.

Always have to guard against offering advice based on what's right for you, when you're not the guy who asked. I've done it myself, any number of times.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is you can also order 1/4 lb. samples from Leafonly to explore. Samples are the best way to go IMHO. Currently WLT is 'out of stock' on many key items such as Dominican seco and ligero or Nicaraguan seco and piloto cubano are missing as well. It's nice to order from one source so you pay one shipping fee. This way you don't get stuck with a pound.

The Dominican seco and ligero from Leafonly is a great starting point and a great flavored tobacco. A 1/4 lb. sample of Nicaraguan seco to blend and you're good to go. Pick some wrapper like San Andres and start rolling.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The first kit I ordered was the LO Medium blend which had the CT Broadleaf wrapper and binder, Dom Ligero, and Nica Seco. I added 1/4lb samples of PA Oscuro wrapper and Nic Viso. The flavors seemed good to me but I need to practice the art of making the leaves into cigars, but that's another topic...
Since I'm ready to place another order and I don't have any commitments to a particular vendor, I just wanted to ask for everyone's thoughts on where to get leaf. All the info has been good and helpful.
Thank you brothers of the leaf,
Jim

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I,m not sure the Grand Habanos kit is the best choice for someone starting out.That sumatra leaf is far from a binder.It is like tissue paper and could result in very discouraging results.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is true of the sumatra wrapper. Is sum binder equally delicate?
Yes the sumatra binder I got with one of my kits was extremely thin and fragile. I never even attempted to use it as binder.It has since gone into my sweatbox to become some awesome wrapper :)