What's new

Spanish cedar source

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a curio cabinet that I want to convert to a humidor. I can seal the glass and the door with no issues to hold in the humidity. I was curious if anyone had done something similar and where you picked up sheets of Spanish cedar? I have found some 3/4" think online but that's a lot thicker than I need. Also, what issues did you run into doing this transformation? I would love to see some of your completed projects. Thanks.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
Oak isn't bad. The cigars can stay in their boxes. get a couple cedar trays for singles.... Or, it doesn't have to be spanish cedar. I found a nice 1/4" African mahogany to line the walls/ceiling of a closet project.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I have a curio cabinet that I want to convert to a humidor. I can seal the glass and the door with no issues to hold in the humidity. I was curious if anyone had done something similar and where you picked up sheets of Spanish cedar? I have found some 3/4" think online but that's a lot thicker than I need. Also, what issues did you run into doing this transformation? I would love to see some of your completed projects. Thanks.

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I haven’t converted a cabinet, but would like to one day. Just a couple of weeks ago, I ordered some Spanish Cedar planks on Rockler to help replace the wire racks in my wineador. A little pricey, but it was good quality wood. $30 for a 48” length plank, 5” wide, and 1/4” thick.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you have the tools and the time you might find Spanish Cedar stock at a local fine lumber company. You'll need to rip and trim to what you want but your time should reduce your costs. The sawdust you generate can be recycled into small bags to help with aroma and humidity control.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were able to find spanish cedar at a locally owned lumberyard. I think the pieces were 6" x 1/4" and 8-10 feet long. Here are some pics of the finished product.

Humidor 4.jpgHumidor 6.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, and WOW - those pictures are big. Sorry about that.
We bought the trays first from Daniel Marshall Humidors, and then built the shelves to match their size. We actually built the whole unit separately, and then slid it into position before attaching the doors. The entire wall unit was already there, and we sized it to take up the space of what was three shelves.