What's new

spansh cedar shelving

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
ive been wanting a coolidor for a while now and i think im gonna pull the trigger. im gonna order some spanish cedar and i was wondering: should i get cedar that has been kiln dried?? or should i try to find some "green" cedar???
thoughts????

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
use wire shelves for good air circulation. rely on your spanish cedar boxes to help buffer humidity.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I had one of those real big igloos. i think it was at least 150 quarts. i stood it up on end. put in wire shelves. used beads and a cigar oasis. also had a remote hygrometer. the wire for the cigar oasis ran through the drain hole. that was one sweet setup.

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
thanks so much for the wire shelving idea! I happen to have some laying around and will definitely use that in my coolidor.

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Even if you decide to go with cedar for shelving, Don't get green cedar (if you can find it) because it will have way too high a moisture content and will check/crack as it cures. KD will be much drier than you will need (usually around 10-15% moisture content) whereas air dried will be somewhere around 20%. Most all will be KD, which is why you have to let the wood aclimate to the moisture content of the cooler, just like priming a regular humi. I've got a cedar shelf in my cooler, but only because I had a fairly large piece of spanish cedar in the wood pile. The wire shelving would be much easier and more efficient for air circulation.