What's new

Special occasion cigars....

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Hello family,

Okay, so over the past few months I’ve had the opportunity to get some quality cigars (well, quality to me as we all have different ideas/definition of quality). That when Its time to smoke, I don’t really want to smoke them and pick something else. lol What I’m I saving it for? Idk really. Just don’t think “today” qualified for a special occasion.

I told myself I wasn’t in it to collect, but was in it to smoke them. Well, for the past few days I just look at them and move on to the next.

What are some of your special occasion cigars (post those pics if possible)?

What are you saving them for?

I think I need to go and talk to someone about my issues lol.

Have a wonderful day, and let’s see those sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have some Ligas and Pappy van Winkles that haven't been touched since the last Louisiana Barn Smoke. I think I'm going to bring them to the Florida Barn Smoke. I don't expect a divorce or have kids graduating or weddings anytime in the future so my list of special occasions is pretty short!!
My life is pretty dull so I only smoke boring cigars.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I have some Ligas and Pappy van Winkles that haven't been touched since the last Louisiana Barn Smoke. I think I'm going to bring them to the Florida Barn Smoke. I don't expect a divorce or have kids graduating or weddings anytime in the future so my list of special occasions is pretty short!!
My life is pretty dull so I only smoke boring cigars.
It’s all good. Thank you for your input. I do have a little guy on the way, masters program is about to finish, and good buddies wedding coming up. However, I don’t have 100+ events to plan out and that’s only 3 events lol.

Hamm

Bacon
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I have a few special occasion cigars that I'm saving- Fuente BBMF Maduro, Opus X Angel's Share A in a Dan Marino Foundation coffin, Tatuaje Mexican Experiment Churchill and some others I can't think of at the moment. My next special occasion will be the birth of my daughter (due June 19th). I'll burn something special that day for sure.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
A great cigar can make any day an "occasion".
^^^^What he said.^^^^
I don't have many super premium cigars, but I do have "bargain cigars" and better/nicer cigars.
I reach for the bargains when it's windy, hot, I'm working on something, or when I've eaten something (usually spicy) that I think probably killed my sense of taste.
The only occasion I save the better ones for is an occasion where I think I'll enjoy them.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Still sitting on a LFD TCFKAM, Padron 85th Maduro, some Liga 9s I’ve yet to try, a Bolivar Libertador LCDH, Upmann Noella and Royal Robusto LCDH, HDM Epicure De Luxe LCDH, and a Cohiba Robusto that I only have one definite occasion for which is my brother’s wedding next year, and possibly following my first full week of working and treating patients without killing anyone (in my book a fairly special occasion lol). I agree though @Oso-Ish08, I didn’t get into cigars to collect I got in to smoke them, but I always seem to pass them over. Heard from someone recently who got terminally sick and had to give up smoking and he had all these great special occasion sticks he had never touched. So I guess we should be smoking em if we got em before we can’t smoke em anymore. Definitely tough to bring a torch to some of them though.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
^^^^What he said.^^^^
I don't have many super premium cigars, but I do have "bargain cigars" and better/nicer cigars.
I reach for the bargains when it's windy, hot, I'm working on something, or when I've eaten something (usually spicy) that I think probably killed my sense of taste.
The only occasion I save the better ones for is an occasion where I think I'll enjoy them.
Completely agree. Might have to pick one out and just give it a go lol.

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
To each their own in smoking preferences, but I pretty much just grab and smoke whatever my palette tells me to on a given day.

With that said, I do have some “pricier” smokes that I enjoy less frequently, but even during the last “big moment” in which it was time to fire up one (I got a job and went back to work) I still grabbed something else. :/

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Heard from someone recently who got terminally sick and had to give up smoking and he had all these great special occasion sticks he had never touched.
This. Truth.

There's also something to be said for reaching for something you know you love on a special occasion. Takes the "unknown" factor out, and minimizes the risk of being let down.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I've got maybe a dozen cigars I consider special, most of them gifts from friends. I have the same "problem", each time I plan on smoking one of them I pass over it for something I know I can replace easily. I've got plans to smoke a few of them in the near future. We'll see what happens when the time comes. :cigar:

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
This same concept is part of what has deterred me from staying in the HTF hunt. I know it is really nice to be able to bomb out HTF sticks, but when it comes to smoking them I have a hard time putting flame to one of them because I know I will not be able to replace them. Once they are gone, they are gone. Much like humans, I guess; you can't take your cigars with you.

That said, I did smoke the only Barclay Rex I had when I landed my current job, and I did smoke the only full sized Drac I had when I finished my Master's degree. I have to remind myself that those were good times, and good ways to commemorate the event. Even if the cigar wasn't amazing, being able to say that you smoked (some big bawlin cigar) when (big event) happened, it is worth doing.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
I've got an Opus X 8-5-8 size (forget the name of that one) that I bought in 2007 at Disney World. It was the first time I had seen them at the time. Paid $40 each for 2 of them. Smoked one soon after and told my daughter i was saving the other one for when she graduates high school...which is next year. She asks me quite often if I still have it and if I'm still gonna smoke it when she graduates. the answer is yes and yes.

I've smoked loads of Opus since then, but that one is still gonna be special. And I'm anxious to see how it'll taste after 11+ years. It's been stored well, so we'll see.

GolfNut

Wineadors.com
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
FWIW, wife and I had some very special hard to come by cigars we kept for something special..didn't touch them for years...got some mold in the humi and lost everything.
Never again will we save cigars for something special..just enjoy them when we are able.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple cigars that I am saving for my upcoming honeymoon in two months- Padron 50th, farm-rolled Cubans, and some HTF Davidoffs. However I do have duplicates of a few of these because I do intend on lighting them up anytime after this occasion.

I have a couple drawers of higher end stuff that I'll smoke if there's no 'occasion'. A good cigar (price be damned) is an occasion of itself.