What's new

Starting on the Pipe

Gabriel Theodoulos

Uncle Gabe
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I'm a cigar smoke who is about to try pipe smoking.
Does anyone have good online sources for pipe tobacco?
Also, am taking suggestions on tobacco. All I've heard was someone suggesting one called Daybreak.

ADDENDUM: Just noticed a newbie thread. Should have posted it there. Apologies!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Wise choice to try the pipe. Remember it is quite different than cigars, lighter flavors, less smoke out put in general, takes a bit more patience. For websites, pipesandcigars.com, smokingpipes.com are the two i use most. Hmm for a good beginner smoke i tend to lean towards English blends, aromatics can burn a bit hotter and wetter. No specific blend cones to mind but I'm sure someone will mention one shortly

Gabriel Theodoulos

Uncle Gabe
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/browse

Don't know how up to date this is, but I found this place helpful also.
I went and ordered three samples of tobacco.
Daybreak
10 to Midnight, and
Anniversary Kake.

I don't know anything about them, other than someone thought Daybreak was excellent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Everyone is vastly different with baccy they like. I’ve smoked around 50-100 different ones this year. I keep buying Orlik Golden Sliced, Peter Stokkebye Luxury Flake, and Escudo Navy De Luxe. Different strokes for different folks, but I love these 3

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Smokingpipes.com is my go to for the big name brand tobaccos. Plus a lot of the tobaccos you can purchase in bulk.

Pipes are a whole new ballgame compared to cigars. As you mentioned in your OP, yes there is a pipe newbie trade thread and before you dive head first off the cliff into pipes, I'd recommend going there and do a trade to see if you really enjoy the pipe or not.

For the moment, my little piece of advice is to start with corn cob pipes. They're cheap enough and honestly sometimes (IMO) smoke hell of lot better than some of my briar pipes too. As long as you run pipe cleaners through when you're finished and take good care of them, they'll take care of you and last a lifetime. I've seen plenty of people on-line, especially in facebook groups, smoke nothing but corn cob pipes exclusively. Plus it's so awesome to see what some people do and make them unique.

Gabriel Theodoulos

Uncle Gabe
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is vastly different with baccy they like. .... Different strokes for different folks, but I love these 3
Stupid Tapatalk
Truth be told, I'm buying the pipe for my 20 year old daughter. I absolutely LOVE my cigars, but she will shoo me out of the house if I light up and she is home.

I figure that if I get a pipe and some nicely aromatic pipe tobacco, she won't throw me out as often! :D

Gabriel Theodoulos

Uncle Gabe
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the moment, my little piece of advice is to start with corn cob pipes. ...
Oops! I went ahead and purchased two pipes already. I bought a mucho-el-cheapo JoyOldElf pipe as well as a nice Peterson of Dublin. Though I'm not a real fan of the corn cob look, I can see its value and practicality.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/browse

Don't know how up to date this is, but I found this place helpful also.
It's up to date for the most part.

@Gabriel Theodoulos Pay particular attention to the room note comments for your purposes. My wife doesn't mind cigars at all, but absolutely abhors some of the pipe tobacco that I smoke.

Also, you can do a search on smokingpipes.com for tobacco with a pleasant room note. As example: https://www.smokingpipes.com/search/the-tobacco-locator.cfm?roomnote=1&roomnote=2&sortOpt=default&displayNum=24