What's new

Starting Wage

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
So I finally have my first real job opportunity for after graduation. It is not the most secure job, but if things work out... it will be an invaluable experience.

But, I have to propose a starting hourly wage (not a salary position). I know things typically work the other way: they offer, and then we negotiate. But, this falls under special circumstances.

I'm wondering if anybody had advice for calculating a fair starting wage. My online research isn't helping very much, due to this being a rather niche role.

-It is a full time position, with a very good chance of copious overtime, at least during the "in" season.
-It is entry level. Lots of "bi*** work" like cold calls, filing, gopher tasks, etc. BUT, there will also be some far more advanced (for me) tasks, like assisting in tracking finances and such.
-The current national average for college graduates is $16.80/hour.

So... I'm really lost. Currently, my gut is telling me to ask for something like $15/hour. But that's based on intuition rather than solid data.

Any advice from the more seasoned, savvy members of this community?

Nas

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
IMHO when you don't what your worth, shoot towards the higher end of the spectrum. in and out burger starts employees at 10.50 an hour and that's for clean up work not even flipping burgers. whichever # u decide have a bullet point sheet with your abilities and contributions u will bring because they might ask you how you came up with the said #, one of those facts could also be the National average you stated. I think a reason why they asked you for the rate cuz majority of people under value themselves.. whatever happens good luck

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not knowing company or area you live in I'd say your in the ballpark. Don't be afraid to go on the high side and come down.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I'd start with Salary.com - a lot of really useful information.

In negotiations, the common understanding is that the person/party who first tosses out a number, loses. That's a bit harsh but there is truth to it. Remember that, if they've offered you the job, then YOU are the right person for it in their eyes and they won't want to lose you. So go ahead as Nas suggests and start high. You can always come down but you can never go higher.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Everything said so far is the truth. Hard to give any advice without knowing the field and job you are looking at. The field you are in makes a big difference... are you in Engineering, are you in Marketing, you looking at a State job, sales job etc?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
ask for more than you think you could possibly get. They won't pay you more out of the goodness of their hearts. you can always come down.
This is my gut feeling as well. If you think you're worth 15, ask for 20.
+1

This is exactly what I would do. If your saying something like $16 an hour asking for $20 and Negotiating down to 16-18 would be perfect.

Good Luck Brother!

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Don't be afraid. Ask for what you think you're worth and have confidence. That's what this world is all about. Be confident, don't get in the door pussyfooting around worrying about if you're asking for too much. Just let them know how you came up with the number (if they ask or want to negotiate) and let them know you know you're worth it. First impressions go a long way and will follow you through the rest of your stay with the company.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
They're hoping you come in low, so they win. Start high and let them talk you down. Just be ready to negotiate and have a firm sticking point that you won't go below.

As other have said, we don't know the field you're referring to or your location so hard to directly give you a number. Is it in your degree field or outside of it?