What's new

Storing a cut cigar?

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
This question came up at work during lunch yesterday and I almost forgot to post it. We couldn't find a definite answer.

Suppose you have a cigar you'd like to smoke, it might have a little age on it and you'd like to see how they are smoking. You cut the cigar and test the pre-light draw and it's horribly tight. Can this cigar be put back in the humidor for further rest? What are the problems with doing this? It's not something you hear being done so something must happen to a cut cigar, right? :scratchhe

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Actually this is a pretty common practice for tight cigars. You may find that in a few weeks the cigar will become smokable. :thumbsup:

Ironman

Master Baby Maker-Feb BoM
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
No problem's at all, as a matter of fact this is what I regularly do, I pick a cigar, cut or punch it and take a test draw, if it's to tight..back in the humidor for more rest, they almost always come around!!

Ironman

eric_f

Semper Fi!
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah, same here. I had at least 3 at any given time already cut because the draw was a little tight or something came up where I couldn't smoke it. I'm sure they'd keep just fine unless you mangled it cutting off the cap :p

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
That was my take on the whole thing too but the guy with the most smoking experience at work said it was a bad idea from everything he heard. I couldn't figure out why that would be. Thanks for setting me straight.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
IMO, a tight draw is only caused by two things:

1. High humidity
2. A bad roll

The first one is usually corrected by dryboxing the cigar for a couple days or for longer term in a 60-62% environment.

The second one is tougher to fix. Possible remedies include trying to roll out the tight spot, trying to cut past the tight spot, use of a draw poker tool or just dealing with it.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I've cut cigars, not gotten to smoking them like I thoght and put them back in. I don't think there is any harm at all.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Somethings I'm wondering...

If you cut it and stick it back into the humidor, wouldn't the head collect more moisture and promote that nasty nicotine build-up sooner than usual?

Are augers still made? I would rather use an auger ( I keep a small drill bit handy at all times) instead of a poker? I'm not familiar with a poker, but isn't as the name implies, just a sharpened rod?

eric_f

Semper Fi!
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
pharmgator said:
Sometimes, when I am sick of dealing with a tight drawing cigar, it ends up as roofing material at the local cigar shop.
Sometimes I'll break it apart and light the pile on fire :p

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Roofing Material, and Pile-O-Fire?..
Here in MI (I'm not sure it work here) but We'd take them Skeeting with us in Texas..
Been luck lately, but I have also put them back in the Humi, Seems Over Humidity can make a Cigar Grow, but don't do anything for Hair?.. Huh!

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
indyrob said:
Somethings I'm wondering...

If you cut it and stick it back into the humidor, wouldn't the head collect more moisture and promote that nasty nicotine build-up sooner than usual?

Are augers still made? I would rather use an auger ( I keep a small drill bit handy at all times) instead of a poker? I'm not familiar with a poker, but isn't as the name implies, just a sharpened rod?
If stored properly the entirety of the cigar should be in equilibrium with the environment in the humi so removing the cap should have no effect.