What's new

Storing a sealed box with cellophane on

DanceOnTheBlackTop

Get to da choppa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gentlemen,
I emailed a private seller on a high end box of cigars. I wanted to know when he acquired them and what has he been storing them at (humidity/temperature). He finally emailed me back and said the box has been in his closet for 2 months at 68/70 degrees with no light and very little traffic going in and out. NO HUMIDOR! My question is why would someone buy an expensive box of cigars and put them in their closet for months and then try to sell it. The floor is yours gentlemen. Your thoughts? :banghead:

Dran

"That guy"
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
They were a gift and he doesn't smoke cigars, knows nothing about storing them.

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well the temperature is right, what was the humidity in the closet? If the humidity was right sounds like a humidor to me?

PamunkeyHub

Jayson
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
He’s hoping the dirty laundry will infuse the cigars.

The sweat from all his gym clothes / jock straps will evaporate effectively making the closet a big walk-in humidor.

Better grab this box while you can!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have second thoughts about buying high end cigars from someone I don’t know even if he said he had stored them properly. Unless you can afford to risk loosing the money, I wouldn’t buy them. Now, if I could inspect the cigars by opening the box and unwrap one or two at random selection to see their condition, the if they pass inspection I would consider buying the box. I wouldn’t buy or pay for them sight unseen. But that’s just me.

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Gentlemen,
I emailed a private seller on a high end box of cigars. I wanted to know when he acquired them and what has he been storing them at (humidity/temperature). He finally emailed me back and said the box has been in his closet for 2 months at 68/70 degrees with no light and very little traffic going in and out. NO HUMIDOR! My question is why would someone buy an expensive box of cigars and put them in their closet for months and then try to sell it. The floor is yours gentlemen. Your thoughts? :banghead:
It depends on air flow. Min Ron Nee actually suggest that the best way to age cigars long term is a low temp/low airflow environment that doesn’t need much humidity. I don’t think his closet would meet that, but if it’s sealed...

As well, I have a couple of local guys that made their closets in humidors.

My suggestions... ask the guy. Either he has an idea of what he’s doing or he doesn’t.

2 months in that environment won’t kill a cigar if they’re boxed and/or bagged. If it was high heat or a lot of airflow, definitely. If he doesn’t know what he’s doing you may be able to get him to lower the price a good bit and then revive the sticks and have a great budget buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hell, sometimes CC orders take almost two months to ship, and those are boxes with broken seals in shipping containers, mail trucks, and warehouses that whole time. I've never had a complaint about the freshness. Two months in a closet is probably fine.

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Hell, sometimes CC orders take almost two months to ship, and those are boxes with broken seals in shipping containers, mail trucks, and warehouses that whole time. I've never had a complaint about the freshness. Two months in a closet is probably fine.
That’s part of the reason you usually let them acclimate more a few months.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There may be a humi pack inside the sealed box. I’ve had a few higher end boxes arrive like that sealed with a 69 boveda inside.