What's new

Storing CC's, different blends

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hello friends,

Recently procured some Montecristo #2's and #4's, and also Bolivar petite coronas and royal coronas. I was wondering what everyone does as far as storing different cigars together. I know that many do not separate cigars at all, and don't see the need for it. I do so out of paranoia, haha! I have Bolivars separated from Montecristo's, just in case of any flavor melding. It also looks better in the humidor and I have been known to be OCD about things such as that. My NC humidor has everything separated and divided as well. So, specifically, are Monte #2 and #4 a different blend, or just different cut? Same with Bolivars, are the petite and royals different blend or just different cut? Also, soon I'll be adding some Bolivar belicosos finos (finally) and are they the same blend as the other two? All of this will help me in making my decisions, but I also wonder what you fine folks do in your humidors. A secondary question, what about mellowing? I dry-boxed these sticks because they were shipped very "wet," and I'm going to mellow them for a long time, grabbing one to smoke every now and then. Not counting the #2's and BBF's, the largest ring gauge is 42. Best not to mellow for longer than a year? Or what are your thoughts on that? The CC's are all stored between 62% - 64%, and 67 - 71 degrees.

Can't wait to read all the great input, but this #4 will keep me company until then. Hope everyone is having a fantastic day!

Jackson

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Do you know that every, single, cigar shop has them mingled together in a big humidor?? Mind blown...

Also, cuban cigars all use the same type of tobacco... same leaves from the tobacco plant. The blends are just different tweaks and combinations of the tobacco. Do you really think a Bolivar sitting in the same humidor as a Montecristo will somehow develop the Monte taste? Cigars smell like tobacco. The different leaves in a blend when smoked, give them the unique flavor.

I can understand your OCD wanting the cigars organized neatly, but I'd suggest to stop worrying about the flavors... :)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I’m going to go ahead and assume you mean separated from touching, but within the same humidor. You can keep your humidor however you want, but I’m not the type to worry about flavors melding.
I’m not at all sure what you mean by “mellowing” a cigar. If you’re talking about acclimating a cigar, waiting until its humidity is similar to your others and is smokable, just park it in your humidor and it should be ready to go in a couple weeks. If you’re talking about dry boxing, putting it in an unhumidified box for a period of time before smoking, I wouldn’t let it go from more than a couple days myself. I’m not a dry-boxer though.

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Maybe I wasn’t clear on that. I plan to let these cigars sit in my humidor, not the dry box, for a good long while. Just don’t know if cigars with smaller ring gauges do well longer than a couple years. Normally I’ve always bought belicoso-size cigars with gauge of at least 52. I have no experience keeping cigars of 42 gauge for that length of time. I used the word “mellow” because to me, “aging” means a couple years or longer.

And yes... I meant in the same humidor but not touching. Not concerned at all about them sharing the box, just about them getting “too friendly.”

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Do you know that every, single, cigar shop has them mingled together in a big humidor?? Mind blown...

Also, cuban cigars all use the same type of tobacco... same leaves from the tobacco plant. The blends are just different tweaks and combinations of the tobacco. Do you really think a Bolivar sitting in the same humidor as a Montecristo will somehow develop the Monte taste? Cigars smell like tobacco. The different leaves in a blend when smoked, give them the unique flavor.

I can understand your OCD wanting the cigars organized neatly, but I'd suggest to stop worrying about the flavors... :)
Not so much concerned about taking on the flavor of another cigar, the Monte for instance, just of potentially losing some of that character that makes the bolivar unique. A subtractive thing, rather than addition. Never been in a cigar shop where cigars from different brands were touching each other, which is more what I’m talking about. If I could afford a different humi for every type of cigar I had, I’d buy both you and me a few boxes of Habanos each, fella, and some good bourbon to go with them. Cheers, mate!

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Don’t overthink it, dude.

I’ve never had ring gauge matter.

Just smoke them when you want one. If you really like it, smoke more of them.

Eventually you’ll have a mix of fresh and aged and can plan from there based on what you like.

I’ve had 20 year old Cubans that tasted like dust and 18 month old Cubans that I couldn’t get enough of. Age matters, but it isn’t everything.