What's new

Straight Razor Recommendations

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
I've been using a straight razor for years now. I typically have a goatee and use it tighten things up just under the nose, around the lips and also if I feel like cutting some straight lines inside the chin area. I've used a mixture of my wife's thinning razor (she's a hairstylist) and some crappy straight razors. The latest razor is some plastic handled thing that broke the day I got it. I still use it but the "stainless" steel part that holds the blade is all rusty and nasty and gross. I don't recall exactly what blades I'm using, but I change them about every 4th or 5th shave. I'm sure their are better blades out there, but I'm fine with them.

Anyhow. Looking for recommendations on a decent straight razor. Not looking for the ultimate, luxe razor. Don't mind spending $40 or so, but not gonna pay 100 bills for one either.

Thoughts?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a straight razor, great way to go. Not sure what you're going to find in the $40 range for decent straight. Things like this come to mind: http://www.classicshaving.com/dovo-shavette-available-in-3-colors.html#.VTZWLSHBzRY, then you just have to keep buying replacement blades. Occasionally you can pick up a decent straight off the bay, but then you'll need to get it professionally honed and clean it before it'll do you any good. Then you have to keep it sharp somehow, learn to strop it maybe take up honing yourself, the list goes on. It's a hobby not unlike cigars in that once you get started the slope can be slippery. http://straightrazorplace.com/ is the razor equivalent to this site, more info there than you can read on the subject. Sorry for the vague answer, but asking for a decent $40 razor is like asking for a good $8 cigar, it depends.....

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
@deadrift is right that it's not a cheap hobby to get started, but the good thing is you'll never need to replace the blade, I know guys using blades over 100 years old. One great place to look at to get started fairly inexpensively is WhippedDog.com. The guy's name is Larry and he's a good dude to deal with. He sells "sight unseen" razors for $43 that come honed, stropped, and shave ready (they are not brand new, but they are shave ready). He also sells a "poor man's strop" for $25 that is plenty to get you started. The sight unseen razor may not be the prettiest razor in the shop, but they shave well. I started with one, and I still use it. I'd also recommend you NOT spend a lot of money on strops initially. While you are learning, you will almost definitely cut one and need to replace it.

If you don't want to buy a used razor, Portland Razor Company sells a great introductory razor for $120 called the siren. There's about a 2 month wait right now, but Scott builds each one by hand and has a great reputation.

Austinoir

The luckiest guy in Shawshank
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in progressing to a straight razor after gain some technique w DE first. But, would love some tips.

Last edited: