What's new

Streaming TV

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Our DirecTV contract is soon to expire and I want to ditch it, possibly for a streaming service.
I want something that I can use on the various tvs in the house...preferably without buying a box for each. I have Plex on all my TVs and watch movies and recorded off the air stuff from my Ubuntu file/media server. I could use the server as a DVR if the streaming service is computer friendly.

Thoughts?

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
netflix hulu you can get both for cheaper than the cable and you can watch on multi devices. i would watch which provider you get though cause data limits are makin a comback
Is Hulu on demand only? Just curious if DVRs are a thing of the past with these services.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
if you want some basic channels, buy an hd antenna for ota (over the air), and sling tv for channels that you may want, that have an on demand system akin to dvr. if you have basic channels you can also get an ota dvr, like Tablo 2-Tuner DVR, this can connect to devices too. if you want tons of info on cutting the chord, i recommend this site http://www.cutcabletoday.com/

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Is Hulu on demand only? Just curious if DVRs are a thing of the past with these services.
Past, If you like a movie that isn't " prime" on Amazon, you can rent it for $2.99 for 24 hrs. Or buy and it's yours for $4.99. All movies differ in price. The answer is they are stored like a phone, etc. Via Cloud.
Try all three Amazon as it's free 1st. 30 days, they charge your. Card $1.00, n put it 3rd. Back same as Hulu, I used to have Netflix but these two are enough for me.
Thus try them for 30 days for free n see for yourself.
Cheers,
Dave

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
if you want some basic channels, buy an hd antenna for ota (over the air), and sling tv for channels that you may want, that have an on demand system akin to dvr. if you have basic channels you can also get an ota dvr, like Tablo 2-Tuner DVR, this can connect to devices too. if you want tons of info on cutting the chord, i recommend this site http://www.cutcabletoday.com/
Ty for that site, I can rid myself of current cable provider, n get better speed at a less expensive price(y)

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I'm looking at Vue and Sling TV for cable replacements for a few channels we like. Vue states you can "save" your show and watch later but Sling doesn't say much. But from what I'm reading, not all stations have on demand and if you miss it or don't record it you will not see it.

Anybody with experience with either service? Can you save shows to view later with Sling?

BTW - Sling is giving away Roku sticks today if you buy 1 month of service.
https://www.sling.com/?AID=12685118&PID=7779591&SID=email-roku-deal&cvosrc=affiliate.cj.7779591&adid=12685118

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I went with a ROKU box. I did have to increase my internet connection speed. That was cheaper than having both Internet and cable TV. The one thing you will have to get used to is not having local tv, unless you want to pay the fee's for CBS, NBC, ABC. Or use the antenna. There are news channels that are available. I would suggest doing research. What I do like is watching shows when I want to, I don't have to miss my favorites. Also after a day many of the network shows are available to watch, so a show on Monday, becomes available on Tuesday.
Commercials vs no commercials, you have to pay a higher fee for no commercials, and commercials don't happen every few minutes on many channels, usually when you change shows. There are many things to change with wifi, but I don't mind.
Also if you have amazon prime you get amazon tv and movies, and if your buddy ( SOMEONE YOU TRUST for obvious reasons) has Netflix you can share logon info and have access to each others account on TV use. I share info with my kids and have access to theirs and they have access to mine and we all save $$$. I have Netflix, ROKU, Amazon, and we do purchase some regular tv shows, like NCIS per season, and Jay Leno's garage. Many channels are free also.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I have an AppleTV in each room as well as an HD antenna for the locals. We've been setup like this for about 7 years now and haven't looked back at all.

Most channels also have a subscription service that you can get OR log in with a provider's user info. My dad has a provider and he gives me that login and I supply him with cigars. :)

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have an AppleTV in each room as well as an HD antenna for the locals. We've been setup like this for about 7 years now and haven't looked back at all.

Most channels also have a subscription service that you can get OR log in with a provider's user info. My dad has a provider and he gives me that login and I supply him with cigars. :)
+1 for AppleTV

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
i have Roku & sling tv. been pretty happy with it (i also use netflix & hulu). Sling Tv has different packages now + sports packages as well - get most everything unless a game is aired on CBS - only time I am unable to watch what I want