What's new

Strength vs flavor

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
So, being new to the hobby I'm wondering if all medium or full cigars are stronger in both flavor and nicotine, or can you get a full flavored stick that doesn't knock your socks off at the same time? I'm finding that I like a lot of the more complex flavorful Nicaraguan cigars but yesterday I had a CH imperiosa and was practically stuck to my chair....do the two go hand in hand, or can I find those flavors without needing a walker to get back in the house?

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Flavor and strength are two entirely different aspects of cigars. It's entirely possible to have lots of flavor without the strength such as Perdomo Lot 23, Padrons, Fuente, Oliva G and O series.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I you want taste without a punch go for CCs imo.
After smoking a cohiba esplendidos the other night id have to agree. Wish i had the means to buy a box! Dont get me wrong, theres plenty of nc offerings out there that fit the bill for a fraction of the cost but that cigar was a whole other level.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Depends what you mean by "flavor". Have you tried an Acid yet?
I had one, I dont like infused....I barely made it 5 mins before I threw the whole thing away....Im referring more to like the subtle tobacco sweetness that you get on some of the darker wrappers like I really liked undercrown and it didnt knock me over, Liked CH Las Mareas, Alec bradley american sun grown, Illusione rothchildes is probably my favorite so far. Really the first time that I didnt really like it was la imperiosa from a CH sampler....maybe its just that one.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I had one, I dont like infused....I barely made it 5 mins before I threw the whole thing away....Im referring more to like the subtle tobacco sweetness that you get on some of the darker wrappers like I really liked undercrown and it didnt knock me over, Liked CH Las Mareas, Alec bradley american sun grown, Illusione rothchildes is probably my favorite so far. Really the first time that I didnt really like it was la imperiosa from a CH sampler....maybe its just that one.
Time (6mo-1yr) helps dissipate strong nicotine levels. Also wet cigars can sometimes force you to smoke faster so dropping RH can be beneficial. Sugary drinks can also abate some of the unpleasant effects of strong tobacco.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The site "Stogie Fresh" has some decent articles on this if you are interested. Hope I don't catch grief for mentioning another site but I enjoyed reading them and it may clear up some of your confusion

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
it isn't my experience that the two are related but i was a 17 year cigarette smoker so there aren't many sticks that knock my socks off. it may take your palette a while to conform to what it is you want to enjoy and your body for that matter. stick to med for awhile with a mix of the stronger ones

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
After smoking a cohiba esplendidos the other night id have to agree. Wish i had the means to buy a box! Dont get me wrong, theres plenty of nc offerings out there that fit the bill for a fraction of the cost but that cigar was a whole other level.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Habanos are still top dog for quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Go Cuban. Plenty of tasty options that are not overpowering. I smoke almost exclusively for the flavor, cigars nicotine levels are too low for my tolerance. I throw a chew in if I need a nicotine boost.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Go Cuban. Plenty of tasty options that are not overpowering. I smoke almost exclusively for the flavor, cigars nicotine levels are too low for my tolerance. I throw a chew in if I need a nicotine boost.

Hahah yeah.... I would have assumed that based on your quantity of posts in the "todays smoke" thread!....maybe they should change the thread title to "Jay's smoke"

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
My favorite cigar is the Añejo by Fuente, for just that reason. Tons of flavor, nice heavy body, and a good syrupy sweetness with low nicotine and not a lot of pepper.
Just tried my first Le Careme by Crowned heads and loved it for those same reasons too

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
They can go hand in hand, but not necessarily. I've had strong cigars with very little flavor and just the opposite..light with loads of flavor. I'm with you on not preferring bruisers. Hope your finding some cigars you prefer along the way.