What's new

Stupid Acrylic Humidor Jar...

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Ok so I bought this humidification jar off of cigarmonster for 10 bucks with free shipping. I thought I could use it to store my cheaper sticks, as my humidor was getting a bit crowded. When I got it, I filled the humidification device that it came with, and closed it for a few days. Being the lazy person I am, I put the cigars in before I checked the RH.

To make a long story short, my cigars were in there for a couple of weeks, and the RH level was in the high 80's. The cigars are very squishy, but none have cracked as of now. (Well none that I can see) I don't want to put them back in my regular humidor for fear that they will affect the others, so I just opened the top and I'm letting them dry out a bit. Is this the right way to do it? I'm afraid that if I have the top open, it will dry too quickly, resulting in cracking, or damaged cigars.

HELP!!

Thanks for reading,

Dave

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Put them in a ziplock baggie for a few days and let the jar dry a bit. When you get the jar to 55-65% put the sticks in without the humidifier. If you have some cedar inserts from cigars/boxes try slipping some pieces in the jar to help regulate the humidity. Check it and see if the humidity spikes if so repeat. Slower is better.

This is why I like humidors the spanish cedar acts as a buffer (to an extent), the acrylic can not do this

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Throw away the humidification device and pick up some 65% Boveda packs from RonC. One pack in the jar will keep the cigars perfect for a year. Becuase the jar is airtight be sure to open the jar every once in a while to get an air exchange and to head off any mold growth. I've got a few hundred sticks in glass jars and they're doing perfectly, some have 70% RH packs and most have 65% packs.

Be careful with cedar in an airtight environment, I had some major issues with condensation and some mold growth. If you are going to use them do as Rob says and let the cedar acclimate in the jar before adding the cigars.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an acrylic humidor jar I keep on my desk at work for giveaway sticks. I keep a Humidipak in with the cigars; never worry about humidity issues. Give it a try, they seem to last quite a while - several months in my case.

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
I have an acrylic humidor jar I keep on my desk at work for giveaway sticks. I keep a Humidipak in with the cigars; never worry about humidity issues. Give it a try, they seem to last quite a while - several months in my case.
I have the same and use 2. Havent had any issues since I put them in it.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
humidor jars are awesome, but you can not use the supplied green florist foam humidifier.
put 1 boveda in a good kumidor jar, and you dont have to worry for at least a year.

www.humidorjar.com

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
humidor jars are awesome, but you can not use the supplied green florist foam humidifier.
put 1 boveda in a good kumidor jar, and you dont have to worry for at least a year.

www.humidorjar.com
Hey Ron, I just ordered a couple of the Bovida Humi packs from cigarsolutions.com, and I made a booboo. I forgot to change the shipping address, because it's different than my billing. Is there any way you can do that? Or should I email support at cigarsolutions.com? Thanks Ron!

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a couple of those jars and they work great. Take the advice from a few of the brothers on here and put some cedar in there for the hygrometer to draw off or just put beads in there and never worry again like I have done. All you need is a very small nylon bag with a couple ounces of beads and you're good. I started using RubberMaids a year ago and did the same thing,,,cegar and beads and this thing rocks steady at 67% and it's a tupperware container holding 200 plus cigars. I think I paid like $8 for it and it works perfect.