What's new

Stupidly froze some flavored with non flavored, pls help

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
total noob to the hobby, just got my 1st big order from CI and setting up my 1st Coolidor. So I did a lot of reading and worrying and opted to freeze my batch of 50, for the fact that they were in transit for 7 days and in california it's been upwads of 102 reguraly. I did my homework, I swear, but for some dumb reason I stored some acids in amongst all the other non-flavored cigars (seven 5 pack samplers). All of it is spread amongst five ziploc bags, tripple ziploced, sucked all the air out, all still in their wrappers, I CANNOT BELIVE I DID THIS! It was only a 5 pack of Kuba Kubas, but I know for a fact I didnt seperate them in their own ziploc. What do you think I should do? DId I just ruin my first collection? I just moved them to the freezer tonight after the fridge for the lasst 24 hours. I'm weary of opening them all up to move them to their own bag, for fear of interupting the process so abruptley, temperature shock, should I? Oh my god I need this to be alright, I cant believe I was so stupidly careless.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you have a problem?
Just don't want them to infuse with the other nonnflavored ones and turn them all into Acids.

Guess I'm overreacting and should just let them finish the freeze? Hope so. Sorry, I'm so new, feels like a dumb mistake, don't wanna ruin any sticks.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for helping to subside my panic attack! I definitely won't be freezing me new incoming orders. Too much googling, and cigar bid.

Good to know about the long vs short infusing, thanks for teaching me. I'll reaclimate them to the fridge then room air and then coolidor as I've read to do, to make sure none blow up, lol.

I really appreciate your knowledge and assurance, I tend to obsess and overreact, just really into this past time so far (and have spent far too much already). Cheers!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Remember this hobby is best approached with a calm demeanor. Acclimating your humidor takes time, resting your cigars takes time, smoking a cigar takes time. Really not a hobby for people that can't slow down once in a while and simply enjoy.

Be careful about building your "stash" to quickly. Your palate will become more refined and you will be more selective about what you smoke.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember this hobby is best approached with a calm demeanor. Acclimating your humidor takes time, resting your cigars takes time, smoking a cigar takes time. Really not a hobby for people that can't slow down once in a while and simply enjoy.

Be careful about building your "stash" to quickly. Your palate will become more refined and you will be more selective about what you smoke.
I'll take that to heart, thanks. And here I thought it'd relax my occasional anxiety, lol. Definitely taking time to enjoy my night off on the chase lounge, listening to jazz, muting the world around me, plume engulfing. The stash is done being built, without a doubt. Taking journal notes with every smoke, trying to develop a pallette. Thanks again!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last question, I should've asked earlier. I moved the Cigars back to the fridge (34F), will keep them there for 24 hrs. Most of the versions of the freezing process I've seen people reacclimate them to ambient room temp/RH for 24 hrs before finally transferring them to a humidor. I have a coolidor, right now it's at 65F and 69RH (been reading a good zone for humidors), been there for a few days, seems stable. My room is less stable, fluctuates from 70-78F and RH is 52-64%. Can I just move them straight to the coolidor after the fridge? Seems like it'd be bad to go from cold/dry to warmer/wetter then back down to colder again. I can control the coolidor environment completely and ramp it up or down if needed, more so than my room.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Seems like the coolidor is closer to fridge temps then the room is. Curious how you are regulating your coolidor temps? A coolidor reduces the temp swings you have in your room. If the room is always warmer then the coolidor the coolidor will eventually get warmer. At 69% if your coolidor temps get into the mid 70s you may have problems with mold. Freezing is intended to prevent beetles Mold spores are everywhere and the only way to slow down mold is to keep your cigars cool and dry. The other option is to smoke your cigars before mold becomes a problem.

I keep everything at 65/65 except Cubans which are kept at 65 degrees and 62% rH

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an electric humidor (a Needone 23L). It's got fans and seems pretty good at maintaining whatever temp I have it set to thus far (had it running a week at 64, it's been consistently at 65+- 1 degree maybe), even when my room is >70).

Have a boveda 82%, almost hardened and gonna toss is and throw a 69% in a day or so, seems pretty seasoned. I've seen that 65/65 is preferred by many, was aiming for that range.

I should be alright going to the humidor from the fridge at current readings, right? Seems more stable less of a shock. From my understanding once I throw the sticks in they're absorb some of the moisture and the RH should level out to 65ish. Hope I'm getting a grasp of the concepts here. I'm trying.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Alright it's a confusion of terms. We generally refer to an icechest as a coolidor. You have a cigar cooler, powered and cooled.

Anytime you do anything with an empty or only slightly loaded humidor rH and maybe even temp will change. Stability comes with mass. A full humidor changes slower then an empty one because the cedar shelves, cigars, Bovedas all act as humidity and temperature sinks.

Yea go directly to the cigar cooler but don't panic if you see substantial swings, it's normal until you get everything dialed in.

One more thing, as mentioned in a previous post, go slow. Don't overreact, it takes time to get everything stable. I think you are on the right track.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much Boudie! I'm trying man, lotta verbage for sure. I'm glad I went the cooler route, I'm far too green for a desktop, for now.

Okay, makes total sense, the differencing occupancy dictating speed of changes, I won't flip out when I see ample fluctuations; it's an ecosystem. I know enough to not open either, I'm gonna try to leave em in there for a month, at least, before getting one out.

Gonna go slow and adjust on the fly. I'm starting to grasp humidity's correlation to wet/dry cigars, as well as an inverse relationship with temperature (rh, not sure about ambient yet). I believe humidity is the more "important" factor in maintancr and I really wanna shoot to keep the temp around 70, which should be easier with the cooler. That sweet spot of 65/65 - 70/70 I think will be achievable with time and some fluctuations while stabilizing.

One day at a time. Thanks for learning me on stuff. I really appreciate it!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yep, just remember at 70/70 you are a lot closer to potential problems then at 65/65. Try for the 65/65 from the start. Smoke your cigars, enjoy them. Opening the cigar cooler to pull a stick is not going to throw anything off for long but I would wait a bit before tossing in another big order. Let what you have stabilize.

Another thing, 9 times out of 10 when you get cigars from online stores they will arrive overhumidified. Don't be surprised if the rH in your cigar cooler stays a bit high. If it runs consistently high opening the door and moving things around a bit may be a good way to get rid of some of the water in the system