What's new

Subject: **** Tax video - From Rocky Patel ****

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
From what I heard Bush said he would veto the bill?
Yes, but since there is strong Republican support for this Bill, the 2/3 support needed to override a veto could happen.

Better explained from MSNBC:

The president has two objections to the measure, which has attracted strong Republican support on Capitol Hill – sufficient perhaps to produce the two-thirds majority needed to override a presidential veto. Mr Bush objects to the fact that the bill would directly expand federal insurance rather than offering better incentives for families to take up private insurance – the "thin end of the wedge", according to one official, at a time when Democratic presidential candidates are touting universal health insurance.

Mr Bush also objects to Congress's proposals for steep new taxes on tobacco, designed to help pay for the child healthcare expansion. These would include a $10 tax on cigars – a massive increase – and an increase on a packet of cigarettes from 39 cents to $1.

Since the insurance coverage would include children in families earning up to $80,000 and since it is disproportionately the poor who continue to smoke, Mr Bush has attacked the spending measure as regressive. "We object to measures that involve the poor subsidising the middle classes," says Mr Fratto. "It is also not self-sustaining, since smoking is a declining habit."

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Stop being such a GOP cheerleader Mike, MSNBC was paraphrasing a White House spokesperson...sheeesh!...The fact is, many in the GOP are going along with this because a vote against it looks like it's a vote against the children. Maybe they are unaware of the disproportionate amount levied on cigars. Who knows?

But to be honest, I don't care if they put a $5 tax on cigarettes, I'm just against a tax on cigars.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Did Rocky really need to be holding a cigar during that speech? I mean what's more important at a time like this, getting your message across clearly or promoing one of your cigars.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the meantime, has EVERYone on this list contacted his/her senators? If not, and if the tax gets enacted, you have only yourself to blame --- at least the rest of us tried. If you have already taken action, thank you!

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
This goes for all cigars right? So a 5 pack of swisher sweets could be $20 bucks or so. Nice video from Rocky :thumbsup: