Sultan cigar review thread

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Annnd done...

SULTAN
Churchill 7x? (looks about 48 or 50)

This hefty Churchill comes courtesy of Yan, Ferry, Shuckins, and Sultan Cigars.
The stick features a very oily, light brown wrapper, with a slight green tone
to it, that I have not seen before. It is very oily for a lighter colored wrapper
which is interesting. It features tobacco solely from the Kingdom of Java (called Besuki
leaf) There are visible veins, but none of them are tangible, and the stick is
very smooth feeling overall. The pack is very dense... this is a very firm cigar.
The seams are tight and smooth as well. The cap looks great, almost too great!

The body gives off a very faint tobacco aroma. The foot offers a mild hay, and a
good tobacco smell. The cold draw offers a mild tobacco similar to the aroma
off the foot. It is a fairly firm draw, but doesn't seem as if it will be problematic
yet. We'll see...

Lit at 12:51am

The light was very easy, and even, using a single torch flame. The initial draws
are a little tight. We'll see if it opens up some. Smoke production is light, but
not bad. Flavors are a mild tobacco, and a slight cream. The finish leaves a slight
tingling sensation on the tongue. Not a burn like pepper, but more a slightly
numbing tingle. Very nice mouthfeel, despite not producing much smoke. Ash is very
tight, and a beautiful, bright white color. Burn line is razor sharp.

About halfway through the first third I think I have an idea of what the entire
flavor profile right now is like. There is a mild tobacco, that is very creamy,
with a flight wood taste in the middle, and an almost citrus bite. The finish is
mild, but offers a slight pepper and cream. Smoke production has unfortunately not
increased at all, and the draw is still pretty tight. I'm not going to poke it
yet though...

Ash fell for the first time 39 minutes, and about an inch and 3/4 in. Because of
the firm draw this is going to be a very... very long smoke. A good cinnamon
flavor has developed, giving this stick a little more complexity, which is nice.
Until now the flavors have been good, but not anything special for a milder cigar.
I hope more surprises are to come...

Getting a little way into the second third, the flavors are getting richer, giving
wood fairly heavily, as well as the smooth cinnamon. Noticing around the half way
point that the ash is getting a little flaky as it falls, but remains very dense
and basically a solid block while still attached. It's a very attractive bright
white ash. Burn got a little wavy for a few draws, but has corrected itself, and
is now razor sharp again.

In the last third the flavors are getting woody again, with a continuing cream
flavor and feel. There is a light pepper feel coming on as well, which is nice
from a milder stick like this.

Ended at 2:55 for a total burn time of 2 hours 4 minutes, which is basically ideal
time for a Churchill in my opinion. I loved it personally, but as others have
said, the draw could have been looser. I was lucky to have one with a firm
but still well performing draw. This is a great mild smoke, with interesting
flavors and perfect construction. Thanks to Shuckins and Yan for letting me
try this new cigar and share my thoughts!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I have not done my review I am in the Midle of a move and don't have my computer yet as soon as its up the review will be posted.

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Ben,

I really apprreciate your review, you give me some good input for development. Yes...you fulfill your promise with giving honest review, and i really thanks you did that! :) No argue for what you said, you have own feel, own taste that cannot argue at all.

I hope you try the bolder of sultan, sultan signature.. which will be release on December 2010/Hanuary 2011.

Thanks again Ben.

Ferry
Looking forward to it!

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Very nice, never cease to amaze me how every detail is meticulously etched out from head to tail in these reviews....it just...just..makes you wanna blaze one right now! Great Review...Thanks!

coastalgriff

Educated Redneck
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Thanks to Ron and Yan for providing me the opportunity to review this smoke. It was certainly a pleasure. My camera batteries were dead so I borrowed one from a daughter. She's out of town and I can't figure out how to upload the pictures so I'll have to add them in when she gets home. On to the review.

The wrapper was a light shade of brown with green highlights. The band is attractive and really compliments the wrapper. The packing was very tight with no soft spots. I wondered if I was going to have draw issues like some others experienced. Pre-light flavors after cutting with a punch were light tobacco and cedar. I lit it up with a Colibri single flame and was rewarded with a firm, but not unpleasant draw. Initial flavors were grass with hints of tea.

First 1/3: Lots of cool creamy smoke with hints of tapioca. Burn was even and the draw remained firm, but comfortable. Ash was nearly white and fell every 1".

2nd 1/3: The flavor took a turn and changed to toasted oak and leather. There was a slight bitterness that stared creeping in at this point. The burn line started getting a little wavy, but remained fairly stable.

Final 1/3 : The smoke began to heat up a bit at this point. The toasted oak flavor continued into this third. The bitterness disappeared and was replaced by grass and a little bit of pepper. The second hand smoke has a sweet perfume like quality to it. It is very floral and definitely interesting.

Final Thoughts: The Sultan had some interesting and unique flavors to it that I really enjoyed. I'm undecided whether I would purchase any or not. I'd like to see this blend in a small ring gauge like a petite corona or a lancero. I think the smaller size would compliment the blend. My 2 cents. Thanks again for the opportunity guys. -John

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Annnd done...

SULTAN
Churchill 7x? (looks about 48 or 50)

This hefty Churchill comes courtesy of Yan, Ferry, Shuckins, and Sultan Cigars.
The stick features a very oily, light brown wrapper, with a slight green tone
to it, that I have not seen before. It is very oily for a lighter colored wrapper
which is interesting. It features tobacco solely from the Kingdom of Java (called Besuki
leaf) There are visible veins, but none of them are tangible, and the stick is
very smooth feeling overall. The pack is very dense... this is a very firm cigar.
The seams are tight and smooth as well. The cap looks great, almost too great!

The body gives off a very faint tobacco aroma. The foot offers a mild hay, and a
good tobacco smell. The cold draw offers a mild tobacco similar to the aroma
off the foot. It is a fairly firm draw, but doesn't seem as if it will be problematic
yet. We'll see...

Lit at 12:51am

The light was very easy, and even, using a single torch flame. The initial draws
are a little tight. We'll see if it opens up some. Smoke production is light, but
not bad. Flavors are a mild tobacco, and a slight cream. The finish leaves a slight
tingling sensation on the tongue. Not a burn like pepper, but more a slightly
numbing tingle. Very nice mouthfeel, despite not producing much smoke. Ash is very
tight, and a beautiful, bright white color. Burn line is razor sharp.

About halfway through the first third I think I have an idea of what the entire
flavor profile right now is like. There is a mild tobacco, that is very creamy,
with a flight wood taste in the middle, and an almost citrus bite. The finish is
mild, but offers a slight pepper and cream. Smoke production has unfortunately not
increased at all, and the draw is still pretty tight. I'm not going to poke it
yet though...

Ash fell for the first time 39 minutes, and about an inch and 3/4 in. Because of
the firm draw this is going to be a very... very long smoke. A good cinnamon
flavor has developed, giving this stick a little more complexity, which is nice.
Until now the flavors have been good, but not anything special for a milder cigar.
I hope more surprises are to come...

Getting a little way into the second third, the flavors are getting richer, giving
wood fairly heavily, as well as the smooth cinnamon. Noticing around the half way
point that the ash is getting a little flaky as it falls, but remains very dense
and basically a solid block while still attached. It's a very attractive bright
white ash. Burn got a little wavy for a few draws, but has corrected itself, and
is now razor sharp again.

In the last third the flavors are getting woody again, with a continuing cream
flavor and feel. There is a light pepper feel coming on as well, which is nice
from a milder stick like this.

Ended at 2:55 for a total burn time of 2 hours 4 minutes, which is basically ideal
time for a Churchill in my opinion. I loved it personally, but as others have
said, the draw could have been looser. I was lucky to have one with a firm
but still well performing draw. This is a great mild smoke, with interesting
flavors and perfect construction. Thanks to Shuckins and Yan for letting me
try this new cigar and share my thoughts!

Thank you Sir! You did well in reviewing sultan, i really appreciate it :) Sultan Churchill is 7x50. All in all, we always keep our attention for feedback from customer, and we got it from this thread. Thanks for all participants who join this thread, we as cigar maker always able to get input from you are.

Regards,
Ferry

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
........Final Thoughts: The Sultan had some interesting and unique flavors to it that I really enjoyed. I'm undecided whether I would purchase any or not. I'd like to see this blend in a small ring gauge like a petite corona or a lancero. I think the smaller size would compliment the blend. My 2 cents. Thanks again for the opportunity guys. -John
Thank you very much John for your time for smoking sultan and do review. Doesn't matter you would follow to purchase or not, the important thing is you had tried this cigar :) We will think about making sultan in other size like corona, thanks for the input. Maybe you wanna try sultan robusto later? :)

Best regards,
Ferry

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Figured I'd just post my notes here - was too dark out to take any good photos so I hope this will suffice :)

Sultan Churchill Notes

Start Time 2235hrs
Conditions perfect, 80 degrees, calm night
Drink - water

Initial - Beautiful looking stick, pack feels somewhat firm
Somewhat concerned about other reviews with tight draw though
so I choose to clip end w/ Palio instead of my normal V-cut
Really like the size & feel of this stick in my hand, rg not too
big but sufficient for churchill. Great job on the cap by roller.

Prelight Draw, flawless, no draw issues at all, tea leaf, mild tobacco flavor

First puffs crisp, plenty of smoke - pleasant aroma, brilliant white ash
very cool smoke to begin, getting floral/citrus type taste. Burn line
perfect, lit/burning well despite firm pack. Continues to draw well.

Burns around the 1 inch mark about 25mins in, start to get some nougat taste
Very creamy smoke, still cool on the tongue. Ash falls at 30mins in, burn line
stayed true. Still drawing well.

Approx 1/3 of the way in, flavor has not changed much, but still very enjoyable.
Definitely a mild cigar, but has a place in a smoker's rotation for sure.
Get the sense it would be perfect for early morning, with a cup of coffee,
on the beach somewhere warm...lol

Still impressed by the ash/burn/draw of this cigar, feels almost regal at
this size (normally smoke robustos). Volume of smoke even starts to increase,
as well starting to warm slightly. Mild tingling on the tongue.

2nd ash falls at 42min mark - burn still razor sharp. Picking up some heat
but still in the mild profile range. Getting more of the straight up
tobacco taste at this point, nice change of pace.

@ 1hour mark, just around half way point, still very similar, back to a little
bit of citrus/floral flavor profile. Smoke somewhat warmer, burn and draw
so far flawless.

Really starting to come on a bit w/ some mild spice though, somewhat surprising.
Still a crisp taste though.

The back half of this definitely has a different vibe to it. Leaning a bit
more to the medium side.

I probably rushed this smoke a bit too, since it's closing in on midnite, which
might explain it being a bit warmer in the second half - but I tend to like them
that way anyway.

All in all, I continue to be very impressed with the Sultan brand - having now
tried the robusto and churchill. I'm glad I purchased a pack of each and will
look forward to trying the new vitolas when they are released as well.

It was unfortunate that other bros had issues with the burn and draw of this stick,
but after letting it rest the customary week to 10 days in my humi, it performed perfectly for me.

Thanks again to Ron and the boys at Sultan for the chance to try this cigar!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi bdc,

You did a great job reviewing sultan, thank you very much! And thanks also for purchase sultans!

For the draw issues, i found 2 draw issue until now, glad to hear you let them rest before light up and you haven't got draw problem. I've checked twice with team for entire sticks after saw the draw issues on review. Hope next time the fellowship sultan will not get the draw problem again on churchill :)

I found some sticks are too tight rolled at the cigar head, it could be one of problem which affected on draw.

Again, thank you for all you have done for sultans!

May i know your name? I would like to print your review into sultan boox 2nd edition.

Regards,
Ferry

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I've had a hard time finding time to do my review, but yesterday my wife went shopping with her mom and took the son with her. That meant peace and quiet for at least 3 hours :grin:. So I set up on the back deck and got to smoking. I've had this cigar sitting in my humidor since June 16, so just over 3 weeks, at 65% and roughly 70 degrees. The Sultan Churchill is a 7x50 stick with filler, binder, and wrapper from Java. Upon visual inspection the stick looks very well constructed. There is one small vein running about half way down the length, the cap is well constructed, the seams are visible, but tight. One criticism I have here is that the band is disproportionately high on the cigar. In fact part of the band rested in my mouth while I was smoking it. I tried to slide the band down some, but it was on there tight. Just a visual thing, did not effect the flavor or the ability to smoke the cigar.

The cigar is hefty in hand and is packed well. No soft spots what so ever. The aroma was a clean hay/mild tobacco with a slight sweetness. Very peasant. The cap came off cleanly and the draw, while a little tight, was good. I was relieved as I have read in other reviews how they had problems with the draw.

I toasted the foot and was pleased at how easily it took flame, like it wanted to be smoked :grin:. Immediately the cigar produced thick clouds of white smoke and the flavors were exquisite. A clean hay, sweet tobacco flavor rushed over the palate and there was a caramel flavor on the retro hale.

Well into the first third and things are still continuing nicely. The draw has just the right amount of resistance. The flavors have been consistent and delicious. I'm not a burn Nazi so, while not razor sharp, isn't anything that needs touching up. The ash is a beautiful white and is holding strong.

The ash fell at about an inch and a half with an audible plop on the deck. I'm having to restrain myself from smoking this too fast, the flavor is just that good.

Advancing into the second third and everything is still rocking and rolling. A light toasty flavor has been added to the profile, reminds me of a graham cracker when mixed with the sweetness from the tobacco.

Houston we have a problem, I sat my cigar on the deck railing to go refill my water. Up until this point there had been no breeze, but Murphy's Law being what it is :angerhead. You can probably guess where this is going...

Yep, cigar rolled off and landed on the deck :frownno:. Upon inspection it appeared to be okay overall, just a few minor dings. This soon proved out as the cigar corrected itself nicely.

I think it speaks to the superb construction of a cigar to survive something like that so well. I have had this experience with other cigars (think I'd learn :dunno:) and they have not come out so lucky.

Starting to get into the final third. From out of no where I get a blast of intense chocolate flavor. It causes me to do a triple take at the cigar. Where it came from I don't know, it disappeared as fast as it came. Otherwise the flavors are still as they have been, consistent and good. The burn is slightly wavy, but nothing that needs to be corrected. Ash has been holding at an inch to two inches and has been announcing its departure with audible plops on the deck.

Time has come to remove the band and this is where another critique comes in. The glue that held the band on was quite strong. It took some doing to remove the band without damaging the cigar. Normally at this point the cigar has warmed up enough that the glue has loosened and the band comes right off.

Shortly after where the band was located the cigar started to heat up quickly. It was at this point I decided to let it burn out. I had thought about going to the nub, but when I started losing the flavors in the heat of the cigar...well at that point you're just in it for the nicotine. Total burn time just over 1 hour 15 minutes.

Over all I loved this cigar. While it was a milder cigar and I normally like them stronger, it was very good and you need a change of pace every now and then. It could be a very good morning cigar. I would even bet someone just starting out would enjoy this cigar very much (I know I would have :grin:). Would I buy a box? Not on the basis of one cigar, but I would definitely buy more. A tip of the hat to Ron for making this available to try. And a creak of the wallet to Yan for making a cigar I'm going to "need" more of :grin:.

Dan

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Dan...

Awesome review, brother!! This is next in my rotation as soon as I'm over this damn chest cold that my son and I are sharing!

Glad to see your new camera is getting a nice workout!!

Thanks for sharing, Dan!!

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I was going to review mine today, but it seems to be plugged. I'll give it a shot, but I don't see it drawing too much, sadly... I was looking forward to smoking it!

Rating - 100%
596   0   0
I was going to review mine today, but it seems to be plugged. I'll give it a shot, but I don't see it drawing too much, sadly... I was looking forward to smoking it!
you're the second person that has made the plugged statement.
hopefully Ferry will respond soon...

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I lit it up, not getting much smoke if any. Sorry guys, I'm trying!

Edit: The flavors seem to be nice and sweet, no harshness, nice mouthfeel, just not enough smoke! I'm wishing I had a draw poker.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I lit it up, not getting much smoke if any. Sorry guys, I'm trying!

Edit: The flavors seem to be nice and sweet, no harshness, nice mouthfeel, just not enough smoke! I'm wishing I had a draw poker.
Hi,

Got this issue twice so far. I really sorry you got unperfect churchill. Please PM your address, i'll send another stick to you.

Customer satisfaction is a MUST.

Anyway, thanks for the input. Really appreciate your comment and input.

Regards,
Ferry

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Over all I loved this cigar. While it was a milder cigar and I normally like them stronger, it was very good and you need a change of pace every now and then. It could be a very good morning cigar. I would even bet someone just starting out would enjoy this cigar very much (I know I would have :grin:). Would I buy a box? Not on the basis of one cigar, but I would definitely buy more. A tip of the hat to Ron for making this available to try. And a creak of the wallet to Yan for making a cigar I'm going to "need" more of :grin:.

Dan
Hi Dan,

Nice input on band and glue, we just want to be different with other cigars with putting sultan band little bit higher than usually cigar bands. I will tell this issue to Yan and make the band easy to slide down/put off.

Thanks again for your great review and pictures!

Regards,
Ferry

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I've been really impressed with you, Sultan, taking the info in this thread seriously and actually doing something with the feedback. It says a lot about a company, to me, to see you LISTEN to the customers. Keep it up Yan and Ferry!