What's new

Suntory Whisky

Bazillions

Cheeba Hawk
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone a fan?

I always see Yamazaki and Hibiki in the packie and have wanted to give them a try for a while. Does it taste like a bourbon? A scotch? A hybrid? Or is it something all it's own? I'm not a fan of scotch, so this is one of the reasons I haven't tried it yet. Looking at the website, some of the colors are distinctly different. Some are single malts and the Hibiki is the only one that mentions "grain whisky". The Chita is a single grain whisky, not really sure what that would be like.

*edit* And it appears that Beam owns them.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Japanese whisky up until recently was just about the most un-standardized liquor available. Most of them are a blend of single malts and grain whisky so they have a scotch like character without the peat. These are some of the notes I have

Suntory Toki silky and fruity peppermint, green apple, white pepper, ginger bit of burnt heather good mixer for classic Highball

Yamazaki 12 yr single malt soft fruit, peaches, pineapples, grapefruit palate coconut, cranberry butter hints of Japanese Oaks

Hibiki Japanese Harmony blend of single malts and grain whiskies fruity melon, pineapple, lemon, and honey are balanced by toffee and caramel delicate oak,

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Japanese whisky up until recently was just about the most un-standardized liquor available. Most of them are a blend of single malts and grain whisky so they have a scotch like character without the peat. These are some of the notes I have

Suntory Toki silky and fruity peppermint, green apple, white pepper, ginger bit of burnt heather good mixer for classic Highball

Yamazaki 12 yr single malt soft fruit, peaches, pineapples, grapefruit palate coconut, cranberry butter hints of Japanese Oaks

Hibiki Japanese Harmony blend of single malts and grain whiskies fruity melon, pineapple, lemon, and honey are balanced by toffee and caramel delicate oak,
The Yamazaki and the Hibiki sound amazing!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Is anyone a fan?

I always see Yamazaki and Hibiki in the packie and have wanted to give them a try for a while. Does it taste like a bourbon? A scotch? A hybrid? Or is it something all it's own? I'm not a fan of scotch, so this is one of the reasons I haven't tried it yet. Looking at the website, some of the colors are distinctly different. Some are single malts and the Hibiki is the only one that mentions "grain whisky". The Chita is a single grain whisky, not really sure what that would be like.

*edit* And it appears that Beam owns them.
Dude, where do you live that you are finding Yamazaki??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hakushu 12 and Yamazaki 12 are great whiskeys. My palate says Scotch. A few years ago when I heard Japan had run out of aged whiskey, I went around buying up all I could find at 80 a bottle. Now, if you can find these they go for 150 to 200. I am still hoarding around 15 bottles. To bad there wasn't any Hibiki 17 or 23 when I was looking. Those go for thousands now.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It took me a while to warm up to the idea of Japanese Whiskey. But if you give it a fair shake, its actually quite good.

I'd put it in the scotch category with notes of honey and apple.

Extra hard to beat at the price point.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Nikka I have found to be even more Scotch like which makes sense given Taketsuru’s history and training.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Hakushu 12 and Yamazaki 12 are great whiskeys. My palate says Scotch. A few years ago when I heard Japan had run out of aged whiskey, I went around buying up all I could find at 80 a bottle. Now, if you can find these they go for 150 to 200. I am still hoarding around 15 bottles. To bad there wasn't any Hibiki 17 or 23 when I was looking. Those go for thousands now.

View attachment 161135

View attachment 161136
Smart move! Envious of what you got there!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
About a month ago I was in California and was checking out some liquor stores...most people would enjoy the scenery but I gravitate to every large cigar shop and liquor store...sick? Anyway, here is what I saw...229 on sale for 199 at one of the few that had some and another at 199. I was in NJ 2 weeks ago and it was about the same.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
About a month ago I was in California and was checking out some liquor stores...most people would enjoy the scenery but I gravitate to every large cigar shop and liquor store...sick? Anyway, here is what I saw...229 on sale for 199 at one of the few that had some and another at 199. I was in NJ 2 weeks ago and it was about the same.

View attachment 161147
And $300 for the Blanton's? ;) :LOL:

Rating - 100%
29   0   0

View attachment 161145
View attachment 161146
View attachment 161147
Yikes. Well, there goes me getting a bottle of Yamazaki 12 any time soon.