What's new

Super Premiums

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Reviewing a few of the past threads and have a question. On a few occasions I’ve noticed that restrictions are put on what NC sticks can be sent/traded/substituted etc. Generally they are Opus X, Padron Annis, and VSGs.

I have no agenda here, just a question: why these and not Padron Serie 1926, Don Carlos, Litto Diez, or Diamond Crown?

I’ve read through posts here and on CW and haven’t run into a thread of discussion regarding this issue. So, I’m thinking that there is some very basic thing I’m missing.

Again, please don’t read anything into this, I’m just trying to get a feel for the general consensus.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
djs134 said:
Reviewing a few of the past threads and have a question. On a few occasions I’ve noticed that restrictions are put on what NC sticks can be sent/traded/substituted etc. Generally they are Opus X, Padron Annis, and VSGs.

I have no agenda here, just a question: why these and not Padron Serie 1926, Don Carlos, Litto Diez, or Diamond Crown?

I’ve read through posts here and on CW and haven’t run into a thread of discussion regarding this issue. So, I’m thinking that there is some very basic thing I’m missing.

Again, please don’t read anything into this, I’m just trying to get a feel for the general consensus.
I would guess that any super premium cigar would be fine. Not just the ones you listed but also Davidoff, Graycliff, Avo, Zino (Davidoff), etc.

Jagstownville

Voodoo Mafia Family Inc.
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I think that one of the reasons that those 3 or 4 cigars are popular is that they are a little tougher to come by in some parts of the country. There are many high-end NC smokes out there that are of a fine quality, but it seems that a majority of people like the OpusX, Anejos, Padron Annis & Etc. a little more or they are the 'hottest' things out now. Make sense?

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Jagstownville said:
I think that one of the reasons that those 3 or 4 cigars are popular is that they are a little tougher to come by in some parts of the country. There are many high-end NC smokes out there that are of a fine quality, but it seems that a majority of people like the OpusX, Anejos, Padron Annis & Etc. a little more or they are the 'hottest' things out now. Make sense?
That did occur to me.. that availability would have an impact on desirability. I know that Diamond Crown was tough to get here in PA for awhile.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
djs134 said:

I have no agenda here, just a question: why these and not Padron Serie 1926, Don Carlos, Litto Diez, or Diamond Crown? . . .snip . . .
Also, I think there is generally a bit more of a consensus among cigar smokers, at least in my experience, regarding the three you mention. For example, I would add the AF Hemingway line to the super premiums, but others would not. On the other hand, I do not care for the Don Carlos line and would not want one in trade.

Another problem is perceived value, especially when compared to CC's. I am one of those who would much rather have three or four excellent CC's over a single Opus X or 1926. The price of a single Opus X makes that CC ratio of 1:3 or 1:4 a reality. Since I generally prefer Habanos, I cannot justify what I consider a low value by purchasing a very high priced, single NC.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
KD7HTH said:
Regarding super premium domestics, I believe many are sought out by people who are willing to pay such high prices for them, for the most part, to simply impress their friends in public settings. However, Habanos lovers are less about being ostentatious as they are about true quality...
You're kidding, right? I have never observed a difference among status-seeking snobs based on whether they smoke ISOM's or NC'S. A-holes are A-holes, whatever they are smoking...

JMO, YMMV.

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
vperlman said:
You're kidding, right? I have never observed a difference among status-seeking snobs based on whether they smoke ISOM's or NC'S. A-holes are A-holes, whatever they are smoking...

JMO, YMMV.
More so, do you really think that a large portion of super premium smokers will pay the money just to be a snob?????? You will hear many more stories about some one claiming to be this world class cigar smoker, ask them what the smoke and they reply macanudo. Pretend cigar snobs would have no idea what a premium cigar really is...A social cigar snob would be more likely to go buy a fake box of Cuban and brag about them, rather than spend the money on the domestic premiums..Plus, The super super premium, Padron 1926, Litto Gomes Dietz, Opus X, can be harder to find the Cubans, so those that really smoke the high end cigars search for them because they know what they truly are; FANTASTIC PREMIUM cigars!!!

And the comment about Cuban cigar smokers are more concerned about quality.....I'm not going to respond.......BUT your wrong!!!!!!!! :hammersma LOL