What's new

Sweet Spots in Cigars

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I was wondering what time frame for cigars do people find sweet spots in and never seen this thread before. I want your own opinion, not MRN or what others say. Example: PSD4 IMO are best when 6 months to 1 year, or JL #1 are great at 3-4 years then fade away to wood chips flavor. Please PM me if you do not want to post, thanks.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
IMO, it really depends if you like that certain cigar with age on it or not. i.e. Some guys like a RASS young and some like them with 5+ years on them. It just varies widely with me so I really can't say.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Nothing wrong with the question. I had to think about this for awhile and conclude that it is a hugely subjective question. The following are only my personal tastes and experience. I offer them as one example.

I agree with you on the two cigars you mention. I happen to like a lot of CC's very fresh, but others, aged for one to three years. Some, like the R&G Lonsdale, taste superb between three to four years. I have smoked a lot of BBF's from six months to four years old. The ones I preferred out of all of them were about two years old. A couple of years ago I had some R&J Churchill A/T's and some Esplendidos, all from ~1997. They were about 7 years old at the time of smoking and they were stunning. I have had other brands and sizes from the same or earlier time periods that were nowhere near as good as their younger siblings from '01 , '02 and '03.

The bottom line is that what one person finds to be a sweet spot may not hold true for others. Even though each smoker may be able to taste the nuances among aged and fresh smokes, it will still depend upon individual preference.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Fox said:
Nothing wrong with the question. I had to think about this for awhile and conclude that it is a hugely subjective question. The following are only my personal tastes and experience. I offer them as one example.

I agree with you on the two cigars you mention. I happen to like a lot of CC's very fresh, but others, aged for one to three years. Some, like the R&G Lonsdale, taste superb between three to four years. I have smoked a lot of BBF's from six months to four years old. The ones I preferred out of all of them were about two years old. A couple of years ago I had some R&J Churchill A/T's and some Esplendidos, all from ~1997. They were about 7 years old at the time of smoking and they were stunning. I have had other brands and sizes from the same or earlier time periods that were nowhere near as good as their younger siblings from '01 , '02 and '03.

The bottom line is that what one person finds to be a sweet spot may not hold true for others. Even though each smoker may be able to taste the nuances among aged and fresh smokes, it will still depend upon individual preference.
Well put. I was trying to think of how to answer this. I also smoke BBF's fairly young but like my Punch Churchils with at least three years on them. One of the best cigars I have smoked was a 1981 Monte #2 last year. I am still looking forward to trying a pre-embargo Davidoff...

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
It's a difficult question bro.

Tobacco, being organic material, is constantly changing. This constant change various the flavors depending on storage conditions during the life of the cigar.

Also, you could have 2 of the same boxes with the same box codes, stored in the same humi and they may taste totally different.

Like some mentioned, some like 'em old, some like 'em young. This would also hold true for trying to locate a "sweet spot". A sweet spot to one may be different for another.

Tough call.

BTW - Smoke a PSD4 within the first couple of months of the box code or wait at least 1 1/2 years. (IMHO of course)