What's new

Syphon Coffee Maker - Thoughts?

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Is it the candle type burner (oil & wick) or the butane burner? If it's the butane then that's a bargain otherwise it's still a decent deal. Hario makes good stuff and the TCA-5 will brew a good 2-3 cups depending on how much you put into a mug.

I have a lot of experience with siphon coffee and the biggest drawback is proper filter storage. Thy use a cloth filter so you need to boil it in water after each use to get rid of the oils (otherwise they become rancid and ruin the taste) then store the filter in water in the fridge for best performance. All of that adds about 5min onto the teardown/cleanup after you brew. Not an everyday coffee maker, but is a great Sat/Sun morning pot. And it makes a truly wonderful cup. It's unique in that the coffee is at the perfect brewing temperature the entire time, opposed to drip or french press where the water is cooling down the whole time it brews.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Is it the candle type burner (oil & wick) or the butane burner? If it's the butane then that's a bargain otherwise it's still a decent deal. Hario makes good stuff and the TCA-5 will brew a good 2-3 cups depending on how much you put into a mug.

I have a lot of experience with siphon coffee and the biggest drawback is proper filter storage. Thy use a cloth filter so you need to boil it in water after each use to get rid of the oils (otherwise they become rancid and ruin the taste) then store the filter in water in the fridge for best performance. All of that adds about 5min onto the teardown/cleanup after you brew. Not an everyday coffee maker, but is a great Sat/Sun morning pot. And it makes a truly wonderful cup. It's unique in that the coffee is at the perfect brewing temperature the entire time, opposed to drip or french press where the water is cooling down the whole time it brews.
Great info! Thank you for that and the feeling of Deja-vu :D

The unit has the alcohol burner. This Yama unit for $100 includes a butane burner. Can you make a recommendation between them? (ignore the burner aside since I could buy a new one) I know Boma makes one designed to work with your gas range too.

Are there any options aside from the cloth filter then that take a bit of the headache out of it?

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
The Hario will have better quality glass, but I've personally had my Yama for 2+ years with no problem. I would get whichever is cheaper. No need to spend $100 if you're not going to end up using a bunch. The gas range ones are a little finicky depending on your stove. The butane burner has the most control and versatility.

Check out this metal filter for the siphon. Should be much easier to clean.
http://prima-coffee.com/catalog/stainless-yama-coffee-siphon-filter-29018

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
The Hario will have better quality glass, but I've personally had my Yama for 2+ years with no problem. I would get whichever is cheaper. No need to spend $100 if you're not going to end up using a bunch. The gas range ones are a little finicky depending on your stove. The butane burner has the most control and versatility.

Check out this metal filter for the siphon. Should be much easier to clean.
http://prima-coffee.com/catalog/stainless-yama-coffee-siphon-filter-29018
Thanks again! I will probably get the Hario then and buy the butane burner separately. Should still be cheaper in the end then buying the Yama. Do you know if the Yama filter will fit the Hario by chance?

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Only one way to find out!

It may be slightly off, but I would think it would do the trick. It does have vacuum pressure & spring tension to keep it in place when the coffee drops back down. If you don't end up liking the metal filter I will gladly buy/trade it from you.

Post up some pics and a review when you get down on a siphon brew!!