What's new

Tabletop Lighter. Overkill?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey guys, brand new to BOTL, and I'm just getting back into cigars after a few years off.

My old go-to lighter finally bit the bullet, so I'm now in the market for a nice new lighter. I really like the looks and warranty of the Xikar line of lighters, specifically the new Allume.

I definitely like the idea of the double flame version, as its large and hefty. Am I crazy for even considering the next size up, the triple flame tabletop, as an every day lighter? Or will its size be too cumbersome to haul around for daily use?

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Welcome to BOTL, make sure you head over to the introduction section of the forum also and say hello.

As for the lighter, I believe Xikar Turrim is the new one that was just released?? If you like the larger lighters, I'd suggest keeping it for home and get yourself a smaller lighter for an "everyday carry." If you can get a hold of some Ronson lighters, they're durable, cheap at $5.00 a pop from Walgreens or Wal-Mart if they carry them in your area. Worth every penny and if you lose them or it breaks, you're only out $5.00 or so.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Stuffing your front pocket with a table top lighter may send the wrong impression to those who see you coming their way. As was suggested keep the TT at home and buy yourself an inexpensive lighter to carry around but that's just a suggestion. Double and triple lighters can be a nuisance esp. with the kind of heat they put out...unless you know how to light your cigar with just the heat from the flame. Torches tend to scorch the tobacco and once drawn up the length of the cigar can impart a harsh taste. Xikar makes a great soft flame lighter...the Exodus with a wide flame that is wind resistant....not windproof but that's why we have 2 hands...one to click the lighter and one to cover the flame.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Hey guys, brand new to BOTL, and I'm just getting back into cigars after a few years off.

My old go-to lighter finally bit the bullet, so I'm now in the market for a nice new lighter. I really like the looks and warranty of the Xikar line of lighters, specifically the new Allume.

I definitely like the idea of the double flame version, as its large and hefty. Am I crazy for even considering the next size up, the triple flame tabletop, as an every day lighter? Or will its size be too cumbersome to haul around for daily use?
The allume series are great but the TT is a big mofo to carry around. If you want a triple flame to carry find a smaller one. The weight of the allume in your pocket would be cumbersome.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Ive got an Xikar tabletop.. love it for use around the house.. although a 3 flame tabletop isnt the same thing as a 3 flame pocket torch... the tabletop even adjusted way low.. puts out a huge amount of flame by comparison..

Its worthless (IMO) for touch ups.. and its easy to scorch the hell out of your stick when initially lighting if you arent paying attention..

But its fast.. and I like the heft.. and the large tank... etc.. I use mine regularly..

But also keep another pocket torch around for touch ups.. traveling.. smoking at the B&M.. HERF'ing.. etc..etc..

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Ive got an Xikar tabletop.. love it for use around the house.. although a 3 flame tabletop isnt the same thing as a 3 flame pocket torch... the tabletop even adjusted way low.. puts out a huge amount of flame by comparison..

Its worthless (IMO) for touch ups.. and its easy to scorch the hell out of your stick when initially lighting if you arent paying attention..

But its fast.. and I like the heft.. and the large tank... etc.. I use mine regularly..

But also keep another pocket torch around for touch ups.. traveling.. smoking at the B&M.. HERF'ing.. etc..etc..
Same here. Holds a lot of fluid so not much reloading needed.

I like the size and weight because I'm a lighter dropper

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Give some options considering, will help narrow from there. I've likely reviewed one or similar to them. Welcome back! Can never go wrong with Xikar....

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Give some options considering, will help narrow from there. I've likely reviewed one or similar to them. Welcome back! Can never go wrong with Xikar....
The three I'm considering are:

Xikar Allume
Xikar Turrim
Prometheus Magma T

The Xikar is appealing due to the lifetime warranty.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The three I'm considering are:

Xikar Allume
Xikar Turrim
Prometheus Magma T

The Xikar is appealing due to the lifetime warranty.
Well, I have reviewed all 3 on my site. Of those I like Turrim best partially because of the ratcheting system. Very unique. But falls over VERY easily. Prometheus is not up to the same fit and finish quality wise and warranty not big fan. Can't go wrong with Allume, more simple design.
Just reviewed the new Xikar Volta today, that would be the winner by far for a true tabletop. Though, the price is stiff. It is a solid beast and is the best Xikar has made IMHO.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, I have reviewed all 3 on my site. Of those I like Turrim best partially because of the ratcheting system. Very unique. But falls over VERY easily. Prometheus is not up to the same fit and finish quality wise and warranty not big fan. Can't go wrong with Allume, more simple design.
Just reviewed the new Xikar Volta today, that would be the winner by far for a true tabletop. Though, the price is stiff. It is a solid beast and is the best Xikar has made IMHO.
Excellent feedback sir, and I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I'd love to checkout your website!

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
So, just curious why everyone is so high on Xikars? The best thing about them is their warranty. Good thing, because you're going to need it, at least for the torches. I love my Xikar soft flame but gave up on torches. I got a hand full of cheap no-names that never give me problems.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So, just curious why everyone is so high on Xikars? The best thing about them is their warranty. Good thing, because you're going to need it, at least for the torches. I love my Xikar soft flame but gave up on torches. I got a hand full of cheap no-names that never give me problems.
I've only had issue with one of my personal Xikars. Walked into my local B&M and they handed me a new one. I bought a cigar and enjoyed the day! That easy.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I can say that the Volta is by far my favorite lighter. Never seems to run out of fuel and feels very solid and well constructed.