What's new

Talk to me about Tennessee!

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
What’s up fellas? I’ve been MIA for a bit but still smoking when I can. I’ve been given the opportunity to move with my company to Tennessee and looking for some info from y’all. Those that live there or have lived there, what do you love about TN and what do you hate about TN? What should a California boy know about the state? I’d be moving around the Dickson county area, still not sure what city to look at yet. Look forward to your replies and thanks.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Well, it really depends... We get a lot of transplants. One perspective is that if you really like how things are done in left leaning urban areas of the west and north east, and are inclined to vote accordingly, then it's terrible, horrible, awful, please for the love of God stay far far away.. ;)
That said, it's almost like three distinct states from west, middle and east.
Outdoor activities are beyond plentiful, lots of fantastic food and music (many genres) gorgeous scenery and landscapes etc. Nashville is a hopping area but still relatively affordable. Cost of living is low, winters are "relatively" mild and short. But we generally get a nice distinct full four seasons. Summer humidity can be a bitch, but not as bad as AL, FL, Ms, or LA. And we usually get a decent amount of of cool comfortable summer days, and warm comfortable winter days.
Nicely situated, Can get to a ton of great cities and places within a few hours to a days drive.
Lot of rednecks, but honestly they're everywhere in my experience.
Laws, taxes, and cost of living are pretty great for the most part. Not much Canna decriminalization yet unfortunately.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Thanks, I’m really looking forward to getting out of California if you know what I mean?? Looking to buy a house with some land so that my neighbors aren’t 50 feet away from me.

Humidity I can deal with but hate, I was more concerned about winters. Never lived in snowy conditions before and the wife isn’t looking forward to it. Any cities to stay away from?

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Thanks, I’m really looking forward to getting out of California if you know what I mean?? Looking to buy a house with some land so that my neighbors aren’t 50 feet away from me.

Humidity I can deal with but hate, I was more concerned about winters. Never lived in snowy conditions before and the wife isn’t looking forward to it. Any cities to stay away from?
Haha, I can imagine. I know our gun, tobacco, and tax laws are much more desirable. It is truly fantastic having a land buffer around you.
Well, it's nice getting some snow, but not snow all damn winter long like our poor northern brethren... Buuuut, southern snow can make for particularly dangerous driving conditions. (the big pileup you see are not because of bad drivers (though we do have plenty of them..) bit it doesn't land and stay as power, it hits the warm road surface and refreezes into ice. Awd, good tires, good driving skills and judgment can mitigate the danger for the most part.
Uh, well, you probably don't want to land in Memphis if you can help it, it can be a bit rough. But as far as specific areas of Nashville, Eh, I can ask around if you need me to. Traffic is a little sucky so better not to have to cross town for work.

We have more "towns" than cities, and generally less mind numbing urban sprawl than a lot of places.
I know we have a good group of brothers in Nashville. Though I haven met up with any of them yet. Personally I'm really partial to my NE TN mountains, but Nashville is less than 4hrs away for when I need to go visit.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The further west you go the less mountainous and more hilly it becomes. If you are living around Nashville pretty good chance you'll be in a standard "gentrified urban area", which all seem to be the same now days. Be prepared to walk a bit slower, talk a bit slower and eat more carbohydrates, beans, ham, bbq and fried catfish. Good Luck , I'm up there all the time with family living south of Nashville.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0

Snowy.... HAHAHAHA. Not in Tennessee. Come to Minnesota in February, that's snow. We have 1-3' of snow on the ground for 5+ Months. We had a 2' snowfall this May!!

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I don't think they allow lowriders in TN, Jesse. You should think about leaving it to me... er... I mean, uh... I'll sell it for you. :D

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Sorry brother, my Socal ride is going with me!

The further west you go the less mountainous and more hilly it becomes. If you are living around Nashville pretty good chance you'll be in a standard "gentrified urban area", which all seem to be the same now days. Be prepared to walk a bit slower, talk a bit slower and eat more carbohydrates, beans, ham, bbq and fried catfish. Good Luck , I'm up there all the time with family living south of Nashville.
Thanks man, the plant will be somewhere between Dickson and Burns. I'm looking in the areas about 30-45 mins outside of that right now but I know nothing about the area. Working on getting them to fly the wife and I out there in a couple of weeks so that we can look around.

I learned recently that in TN, when you hear the term “HBH”...

...the H stands for rape.
Oh I've seen past years pictures, I'll stir clear of that till I get completely settled in. haha

Snowy.... HAHAHAHA. Not in Tennessee. Come to Minnesota in February, that's snow. We have 1-3' of snow on the ground for 5+ Months. We had a 2' snowfall this May!!
Wifes originally from Minnesota and that's what shes worried about, she hates the snow and is just worried about how bad it snows there.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Haha, I can imagine. I know our gun, tobacco, and tax laws are much more desirable. It is truly fantastic having a land buffer around you.
Well, it's nice getting some snow, but not snow all damn winter long like our poor northern brethren... Buuuut, southern snow can make for particularly dangerous driving conditions. (the big pileup you see are not because of bad drivers (though we do have plenty of them..) bit it doesn't land and stay as power, it hits the warm road surface and refreezes into ice. Awd, good tires, good driving skills and judgment can mitigate the danger for the most part.
Uh, well, you probably don't want to land in Memphis if you can help it, it can be a bit rough. But as far as specific areas of Nashville, Eh, I can ask around if you need me to. Traffic is a little sucky so better not to have to cross town for work.

We have more "towns" than cities, and generally less mind numbing urban sprawl than a lot of places.
I know we have a good group of brothers in Nashville. Though I haven met up with any of them yet. Personally I'm really partial to my NE TN mountains, but Nashville is less than 4hrs away for when I need to go visit.
I've heard plenty about staying away from Memphis and the traffic doesn't bother me coming from California but I'm sure yall have a whole lot different kind of traffic out there.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I've heard plenty about staying away from Memphis and the traffic doesn't bother me coming from California but I'm sure yall have a whole lot different kind of traffic out there.
I mean, it does have some things going for it, and it's alright if you know what's up. But it definitely has some roughness and the schools and government are disasters. Reelfoot lake just north of there is a badass place to camp and canoe.

Nashville traffic is a little bad for this region, but nothing like Chicago or the dense urban areas of California.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I can attest to Memphis sucking. The only city worse than Memphis in the entire U.S.A. is Detroit.

They have done quite a bit to restore the aesthetics of Memphis but, it’s still very Memphis. It’s okay to visit but you’ll be bored in about 3 hours. Living there? Hell to the nah nah.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I can attest to Memphis sucking. The only city worse than Memphis in the entire U.S.A. is Detroit.

They have done quite a bit to restore the aesthetics of Memphis but, it’s still very Memphis. It’s okay to visit but you’ll be bored in about 3 hours. Living there? Hell to the nah nah.
Dude! Cleveland.... o_O Gah I hate that town... It doesn't even have good BBQ and chicken on every corner to redeem it.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Dude! Cleveland.... o_O Gah I hate that town... It doesn't even have good BBQ and chicken on every corner to redeem it.
Cleveland is still a city?! I figured it would have burned itself down to the ground by now.

Okay, here is the modified “B Dub’s Shitty Cities” list:
3: Memphis
2: Cleveland
1: Detroit

Rating - 100%
47   0   0

The only thing that interests me about Memphis is Sun Records and seeing Graceland, that's about it.

Nothing worse then not having good bbq.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Cold iron shackles, ball and chain
Listen to the whistle of the evenin' train
You know you bound to wind up dead
If you don't head back to Tennessee Jed
If memory serves me correct, the chorus to that song is:

Tennessee, Tennessee, there ain't no place I'd rather be
Baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee