What's new

Tannic?

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
When folks reffer to a young cigar tasting tannic is that the spiciness that is present that isn't really like the spiciness you get in a Siglo I or similar?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always interpreted it as being an attribute of certain blends. I've heard it mentioned more in relation to full body cigars, but it in direct relation to how well the cigar should age and how complex the long term flavors should be.

I wouldn't say "spiciness" but maybe "bite" describes it better. Certain cigars are blended spicey but that isn't the same thing I don't believe.

Mike

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I usually consider the tannic flavors to be those bitter, slightly acrid flavors in under-aged cigars (and not those ammonia-related flavors, either). Sort-of like the flavors in some roasted brown teas. Certainly not a nice spicy sensation in my book. There are people who like heavy tannic flavors, I'm just not one of them.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I would not describe tanic flavors as a positive attribute in a cigar. I too see these as a mark of either a young cigar (though tanic flavors are certainly not present in every young cigar), or a cigar that is at a transitional point in maturation (different from the release of amonia). I'd be curious to hear additional observations about this. I had an ABR '02 RyJ EL Robusto with some tanic flavors (not overpowering, but there) to it last weekend -- not ideal!

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I have had a few of the SS#2's and that is what I am talking about. Not neccassarily spicey like spices but spicy like bites your tongue. Some cigars I like it in them, others not so much.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Girardian said:
I would not describe tanic flavors as a positive attribute in a cigar. I too see these as a mark of either a young cigar (though tanic flavors are certainly not present in every young cigar), or a cigar that is at a transitional point in maturation (different from the release of amonia). I'd be curious to hear additional observations about this. I had an ABR '02 RyJ EL Robusto with some tanic flavors (not overpowering, but there) to it last weekend -- not ideal!

I believe this is an accurate definition. Moreover, that is how it comes across to me in Min Ron Nee's book.

Coppertop

Hi Ya Fellas
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
n-tron said:
I usually consider the tannic flavors to be those bitter, slightly acrid flavors in under-aged cigars (and not those ammonia-related flavors, either). Sort-of like the flavors in some roasted brown teas. Certainly not a nice spicy sensation in my book. There are people who like heavy tannic flavors, I'm just not one of them.
Yeah reminds me of a wine with a high tannin amount. Bitter and nasty

Bruce5

--
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Bitter is a good word. Sometimes I could so far as say metallic.
Not necc related to youth.
More relating to brand, ie: Partagas and Punch
can be tanic where as Hoyo and Coh tend not to be.
There also is strength to this characteristic such as a hint or very.
This also is a temporary state.
Just my 2 cents.... Great thread Wasch 24

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a young RyJ excibition #4, as well as young mag 46s. Those two smokes can define tannic in every sense.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Bruce5 said:
Bitter is a good word. Sometimes I could so far as say metallic.
I have been intrigued by this thread and the fact that I couldn't define and answer as easily as I would have assumed I could so I started doing some research in a Wine tasging guide my GF has.
In it it discussed that Tannic-ness is not the same as Bitterness, though they taste similiar to the human palate. The idea was that bitterness is tasted on a different part of the tongue then tannicness and thus being able to be diferentiated that way. Cigar smoking would make this a bit more difficult to determine, but during my next smoke I'll try to see if different flavors can be noticed on different segments of ones tongue. If it's a tannic cigar I have, I'll see if bitter and tannic can be diferentiated by location tasted.

Bruce5

--
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Kurt,
That is funny you mention the diff parts of the tongue.
I have been thinking about that since first reading this post.
My first thought is that it is definitley on the front 1/2 of the
tongue. After that I did not go much farther into it.
I believe MRN mentions this somewhere in his book.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Speaking of different parts of the tongue. Does anyone here use their tongue to taste the smoke as they draw on the cigar(get your minds out of the gutter)....but in a way, it kind of the same thing ;-) The other thing, and maybe one of our medical experts can answer this, is it more dangerous to stick your tongue directly in the incoming smoke stream as you draw? Is a giant tumor going to grow from the end on my tongue if I keep doing this? I suppose this is all conjecture, no definate answers.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I would have to say that the part of the tongue that I taste what I perceive as being the tannic taste is definitely the first third of my tongue, not the tip, but about the first half inch after the tip.