What's new

Target ammo

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
Just purchased a new XD40 and want to get some time in with it. What ammo do you use when target shooting that doesn't jam up? I don't mind dirty ammo as I clean my guns after a day of shooting anyways. Just looking for the most quality ammo I can get at the cheapest prices.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
CCI Blazer TMJ is probably the most cost effective and decent quality. American Eagle TMJ is only slightly more expensive . Either is good for practice.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to save your brass for possible reloading at some time then Blazer won't work. Brass is the most expensive component in reloading and in 40sw can be used at least 10 times. I crank out 40's by the hundreds on my Dillon 650. It's a lot cheaper and fun too.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Just purchased a new XD40 and want to get some time in with it. What ammo do you use when target shooting that doesn't jam up? I don't mind dirty ammo as I clean my guns after a day of shooting anyways. Just looking for the most quality ammo I can get at the cheapest prices.
Congrats on your purchase. You bought an excellent pistol.

Go to Wal-Mart and get their Winchester White-Box. (WWB). Its I think around $28/100. That's probably going to be the best economical practice ammo. It does burn a little dirty, but it will function fine in your pistol. If they have CCI blazer with brass casings for less, I would get that.

I would stay away from any ammo named after an animal (Bear, Wolf, etc.). Those use steel casings and are hard on the extractor. Not to mention, they're dirty as hell.

Regards,
Randy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never thought about reloading before. How much does it save you?
Decent practice ammo will cost around 40 cents/round. If you save the brass you can then reload for:

Ranier 155gr leadsafe bullet $0.12
Small pistol primer $0.03
Winchester 231 powder $0.02

You're making practice reloads for roughly $0.17 ea. This could be reduced even more by buying larger quantities of components.

The hitch is, you will need a reloading press, dies, scales, etc. However, these will last for thousands of rounds and can easily be expanded to include many calibers.

Rating - 100%
99   0   1
Congrats on your purchase. You bought an excellent pistol.

Go to Wal-Mart and get their Winchester White-Box. (WWB). Its I think around $28/100. That's probably going to be the best economical practice ammo. It does burn a little dirty, but it will function fine in your pistol. If they have CCI blazer with brass casings for less, I would get that.

I would stay away from any ammo named after an animal (Bear, Wolf, etc.). Those use steel casings and are hard on the extractor. Not to mention, they're dirty as hell.

Regards,
Randy
Thats exactly what I target shoot with. the winchester valu packs. They got them in.45 hollow too.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Be sure to find target ammo that is of the same grain as your defense ammo. 165 gr prints low compared to 180 gr out of my 229. So you either have to make the mental note of that or just get used to the grain you're most likely to rely on for defense purposes.

CWL

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For target ammo, I shoot whatever is cheapest in bulk. Brand doesn't matter.

If you have a Walmart nearby, they should carry bulk ammo in 100-rd packs. It is the best deal unless you order full cases at a time online.

What ammo do you use when target shooting that doesn't jam up?
Reading this kinda bother's me. Have you really had this happen? Any new ammo, whether USA, European or Russian shouldn't "jam up" your pistola. Unless it is a bad lot, it is a sign that your shooting style causing FTEs. There is a term called "limp wristing", if you haven't heard of it, and it is very common for faster calibers like .40SW, particularly in polymer guns that can accentuate the snappy recoil of .40SW.

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
I was shocked today when I had to drive around the city to search for ammo. Bass Pro Shops didn't have any, Walmart was out, and ended up getting it at Big 5. Had to pay more than I wanted to, it was $22.99 for .40sw and $9.99 for .223. I guess everyone is still stock piling. I may have to invest in the reloading equipment if I start to shoot more.

Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I was shocked today when I had to drive around the city to search for ammo. Bass Pro Shops didn't have any, Walmart was out, and ended up getting it at Big 5. Had to pay more than I wanted to, it was $22.99 for .40sw and $9.99 for .223. I guess everyone is still stock piling. I may have to invest in the reloading equipment if I start to shoot more.
+1 to reloading!

I reload all my .45 and my 9 mm. Right now I do it for cost, soon will try it out for performance...Costs me like $0.18 a round for .45 to reload and with a progressive press I can do several hundred an hour..

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And it lives. Muahahaha.
Im in the midst of getting everything together. I have everything but powder, caps and a tumbler w/ media. Set up for 9mm and .40s&w. Will eventually do 223. Few yeara ago i threw away a thousand cases of .40 and 223 and now you cant find it if your life depended on it. Covid 19 has made not only toilet paper and hand sanitizer dissapear but ammo as well. Which got me thinking. If i can make a new bullet with the one i just shot, i could essentially have a limitless supply! So, here i am. 10 years later.