What's new

Tatuaje Cojonu 2012 Capa Especial Review - CoM May 2016 (Cigar of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Post your reviews here!

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua

6.50"x52

MSRP: $13

Manufactured at My Father Cigars, S.A., Esteli, Nicaragua.

From BOTL Site Sponsor famous-smoke.com:

Tatuaje Cojonu 2012 Sumatra

Tatuaje Cojonu 2012 cigars follows Pete Johnson's highly-acclaimed Cojonu 2009 series with a full-bodied blend of Nicaraguan core tobaccos presented in dark, savory Ecuadorian Habano, or smooth, shimmery, Connecticut Broadleaf wrappers. Made exclusively by Don José Pepin Garcia in Estelí, these superlative cigars have been made in very limited edition. The Broadleaf offers notes of cocoa and pepper, while the Sumatra has a more sweet, oaky flavor. Get 'em while they're hot.​

Prior CoM reviews can be found HERE

IronW

Andrew
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I actually smoked two of these this month to review. The first had a loose draw, however the second was fantastic.

Cold Draw: Tastes of sweet tobacco with hints of wood.

Straight off the light there was lots of smoke production with a strong pepper blast. After several puffs the pepper backs off and a slightly sweet, smoky wood comes to the forefront.

Transitioning into the second third the pepper turns into more of a nutmeg spice. The smoky wood flavor remains with a nice cedar taste. There are also bits of toasted nuts and the occasional hint of cream appearing throughout the middle.

The final third and the wood is backing off a bit while the spice takes over but the toasted nuts are gone. Bits of cream still linger occasionally as do hints of cocoa.

Overall this was a fantastic smoke. I've not really used a number scale but would probably put it around a 90, definitely worth keeping a few on hand.

Last edited:

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0

Tatuaje Cojonu Capa Especial 2012

Aroma of cedar. After the head is clipped I get a super loose cold draw which was expected because it looked drastically under filled.

The cigar starts off with cedar, a little pepper and some floral sweetness. Black pepper is what I'm getting on the retrohale in the 1st third. Soon the pepper kicks it up, there is a distinctive red pepper. The sweetness has also increased and getting chocolate and creaminess.

As the 2nd third comes along a good dose of earth is introduced. The pepper has an almost wasabi feel in the sinuses. I taste tea leaves. I start to pickup a plum flavor. This plum reminds me of having a leftover umeboshi seed in the mouth once a lot of the saltiness is gone. The profile is spicy, earthy, floral sweetness, and fruit at this point. I can practically taste the sweetness on my lips. The earth is really something else and I don't think I've tasted earth in such a manner. It really works well. Instead of it being with a more dark profile it finds a nice balance with the other lighter notes. A few mesquite notes are detectable as well.

Nearing the 3rd and intensity of the flavors have dropped a notch, but still up there as it has been full intensity thus far. I start to get more chocolate and pepper and less earth and wood notes. The fruit notes are gone but the floral sweetness has remained. Retrohale is still that wasabi. Leather has come about in the last third and the sweetness seems to be tapering down. By the nub the sweetness was only a shell of what it once was and I was really only getting spicy mineral earthiness and mesquite flavors.

This was a full flavored, medium-full bodied, medium plus strength cigar.

Construction was quite on the negative side of things. The cigar was visibly under filled and proved itself with the draw which was probably one of the worst draws I've experienced. It was kind of liking yawning but only in reverse. Makes me thing twice on if a plugged draw is the worst construction issue one can have, as there really is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Akin to the concept dressing in layers, as you can downgrade but if you're cold and got nothing else, the tricks on you. It required many touch ups and relights. Ash was flaky and fragile. Wrapper started unraveling towards the last third. I think if I hadn't been reviewing I still would have not pitched it because it tasted great, even though I was super frustrated with it.

I really enjoyed the flavors, like really enjoyed, but construction left much to be desired.

Last edited:

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Ill have mine up in a couple days!

Sent From My Older slightly cracked screen SM-G900K (which is Galaxy S5 Korean Variant on KT Olleh for those that didn't really even want to know) using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
39   0   0

getting this in just in time. i had a connie broadleaf in my humi, but not the sumatra...here we go!

beverages: glen morangie nectar d'or...and some water.

cold draw - has a hint of sweetness to it, along with a mild pepper. i am anticipating a pepper blast once the foot is toasted. also, it has a pretty loose draw

1st third - the smoke is very, very creamy. though there is pepper, it isnt a pepper blast like i anticipated. i get an wood-ish vibe from the cigar, similar to oak barrels that whisky is aged in. retro is pepper, but also some chocolate (almost a dark chocolate) that i dont really notice on the tongue.

middle third - the smoke becomes more creamy and meaty. there is still pepper and wood, but the sweetness has almost disappeared. the dark chocolate has gone up a tick.

final third - i get interrupted, as my pup needs to go for a walk. this final third becomes a premium dog-walker. the cigar is a tiny bit stronger and more bold. i notice a nuttiness that wasnt there before, joining the dark chocolate, wood, and pepper.

misc - construction was pretty solid on the stick... the first time i ashed was when i was near the halfway point of the cigar. i didnt want it to fall on my clothes, but when i ashed, it was a but stubborn and i realized it may have made it into the final third in tact.

this is a really good cigar, and i put it in the top tier of the tatuaje regular production lineup. however, the 10+ price tag makes it hard for me to make it a regular rotation smoke.

highly recommended!