What's new

Telling a friend about fakes

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gifted some fake Cohiba's a couple years ago, there is a thread here somewhere, by a friend who is Cuban and went back home. I mentioned that they were fake. Her husband was offended. I gave links to websites to support the argument. Mostly so they would quit buying fakes and save their money. They went back last year and she was able to bring me some authentic cigars from the official store (not Cohiba's).

They gifted me some more fake Cohiba's today. It was pretty obvious from the bands. I'll add a photo later.

Ideas on how to, or if I even bother, tell her they are fake?

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
If they didn't want to hear it last time, the won't want to hear it this time. I'd save your breath if you traveled down that road once already.
In addition to this hobby I collect coins and paper money. I've been asked to do a few amateur appraisals and the majority of them went poorly. People think they are sitting on a gold mine when most likely they have up to a few hundred dollars in silver. Its the same thing with cigars, when you relate information to people that they don't want to hear, you might as well be telling them that you fucked their significant other.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
the strange part of this is that the bands are noticeably fake, in a country where the real thing should be available anywhere.
Those sticks may not have been made in Cuba at all.
They are really low quality fakes.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
You'd be surprised. I went to Cuba last Aug and was offered fakes on many street corners. I got the feeling that most of the street corner cigars were just cigars stolen out of the factory or made from scrap tobacco from the factory.

Coincrazed

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum."
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If they didn't want to hear it last time, the won't want to hear it this time. I'd save your breath if you traveled down that road once already.
In addition to this hobby I collect coins and paper money. I've been asked to do a few amateur appraisals and the majority of them went poorly. People think they are sitting on a gold mine when most likely they have up to a few hundred dollars in silver. Its the same thing with cigars, when you relate information to people that they don't want to hear, you might as well be telling them that you fucked their significant other.
Oh hell yeah. PM sent dude. Good to see another numismstist here! I can definitely relate to that statement being into that hobby.

To the OP- sometimes it is just best to keep your mouth shut and accept them graciously. No sense stepping on toes when you can try to handle it tactfully and move on. If they waste money its theirs, you told them once, no sense repeating it.

To make another coin reference, this reminds me of the time my ex girlfriend was like this when she found out I was a coin collector. She went out to a pawn shop and paid $30 for a Silver Half Dollar only worth melt. (About $5) When I told her she got super ripped off, it really offended her. I felt the same, didn't want her to waste money but hey, its the thought. So when she did it again I just smiled and shut my mouth.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
You'd be surprised. I went to Cuba last Aug and was offered fakes on many street corners. I got the feeling that most of the street corner cigars were just cigars stolen out of the factory or made from scrap tobacco from the factory.
yes, but the bands looked good, because where in Cuba will you find FAKE BANDS?
Try to keep up.............

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been on both ends of this situation. First was about 7 or so years ago when I brought back few what I thought was CC (yes in glass box) from Mexico. plan was to hand them out to all the guys during my friends birthday that was coming up when I returned from my trip. Thought it was somthing nice and cool to do for everyone until I got called out by one of guys uncle's in front of everyone that it's a fake with no explanation. It was a embarrassing moment for sure.

Fast forward 4 months ago, family friend decided to gift me 5 CC after helping him out on a project. 100% fake, I just said thank you and moved on. fake or not the idea of him trying to do somthing nice and i couldn't take that away. I see it this way, if someone's going on a trip and is going to bring me back a gift, I'd rather take a few fake CC then some souviner shot glass, t-shirt or key chain. Atleast the fake CC will be fun to cut and see what's inside.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
lol I am a tactless heathen then ....
Generally I’d say something to someone with fakes, but from a standpoint of trying to educate because I hate seeing someone get swindled. But in this particular instance, he already tried to say something once and it went poorly. Clearly, they don’t care to learn. I would just smile and say thanks so as to not waste my time.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is kids stuff! You say thank you and you put them away, if they say aren't you going to smoke one you make up an excuse or say you'd rather save them for something special, you can even swap the bands onto real cigars if you want to be sneaky and smoke that in front of them.

I had a friend have to break the news to me that a group of also respected in the community friends were 99% sure I just blew over $2000 on fake davis ....I won't even say he was gentle about it, but then he's not a gentle type, so yah ROFL

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Those sticks may not have been made in Cuba at all.
I don't have proof but I think all the fakes that are for sale in Cuba are made in Cuba and are therefore made of Cuban tobacco. I've been to Cuba many times and I know that fakes are a HUGE business there. They can be bought everywhere. I don't believe they could be imported. There is too much government control on incoming goods. The fakes are a big business. Not just the fake cigars have to be made but also the boxes, the bands and the government seals that are included with every box.
The photo of the filler that Rob provided is the same as what I have found in all the fakes that I have been given from Cuba (not fake CC's from other countries). They are long filler, well made and no garbage. I think they are made in large, illegal factories.
While I don't support the purchase of fakes which damage the industry reputation, I will say that the fakes I've smoked that were from Cuba have all been quite acceptable. I actually have a dozen in my humidor right now. I removed the bands after I was given them so that no one would think I was trying to fool anyone.