What's new

Temp & RH

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but I couldn't reply to another thread as I'm still a newbie. Waiting for admin permission or something is what the window shows.

(Can't post URLs right now either...sigh...)

I live in SoCal, and during the summer, it gets insanely hot.
Worse yet, my condo doesn't have the best insulation, so INSIDE,
I saw temps as high as 85.

I did a test, and placed my empty desktop humidor in my closet. Still...temps were 80+.

I spoke to an employee at a local cigar lounge and he says that you don't have to worry about the temps...just focus on the RH. He used the weather in Cuba as an example, as they do get hotter than 80+ degrees.

I'm a bit confused here.
Ideally (at least for aging), I should shoot for 70/70. (70 Degrees w/ 70% RH). Right? But IF the temp is a bit higher...say 85...is this okay?

And before I spend money on boxes of cigars...I want to clarify what is right versus what is wrong. I would rather sacrifice money to the cigar gods than the beetle gods.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
he is correct to a point. keep your cigars at about 70% humidity regardless of the temp. the high temp can cause some concern over beetles. personally, i think that the beetle thing is overated.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humidity affects the general "smokability" of the cigar..correct? If I go too high (like 80% humidity),...you get a soggy (or wetter) cigar that is difficult to light. Right?

Alternatively, if you go towards the lower end (60%), the cigar is easier to light as it is drier. Correct?

Couple that w/ temperature into this basic flowchart.
If low temp w/ low humidity...not too much can occur???
If low temp w/ high humidity...wet cigars?
If high temp w/ low humidity...dry cigars?
If high temp w/ high humidity...you end up w/ beetles?

Am I correct?
I read up on the cigar beetle and came across an article on the CigarAficionado site about beetles. That was the basic flowchart I came up with.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW...when are you going to release your wireless hygrometer (like the Radio Shack units)?

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Humidity affects the general "smokability" of the cigar..correct? If I go too high (like 80% humidity),...you get a soggy (or wetter) cigar that is difficult to light. Right?

Alternatively, if you go towards the lower end (60%), the cigar is easier to light as it is drier. Correct?

If low temp w/ low humidity...not too much can occur???
If low temp w/ high humidity...wet cigars?
If high temp w/ low humidity...dry cigars?
If high temp w/ high humidity...you end up w/ beetles?

Am I correct?
I read up on the cigar beetle and came across an article on the CigarAficionado site about beetles. That was the basic flowchart I came up with.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.[/QUOTE

Humidity affects the general "smokability" of the cigar..correct? If I go too high (like 80% humidity),...you get a soggy (or wetter) cigar that is difficult to light. Right? - correct

Alternatively, if you go towards the lower end (60%), the cigar is easier to light as it is drier. Correct? - correct

If low temp w/ low humidity...not too much can occur??? yes
If low temp w/ high humidity...wet cigars? yes
If high temp w/ low humidity...dry cigars? yes
If high temp w/ high humidity...you end up w/ beetles? this would be the ideal condition for beetles