What's new

Temperature

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Figured I'd be the first to post this topic title as it's sure to be rehashed over and over again! ;)

If I needed any proof that it gets harder to hold humidity when it gets colder, I got it over the past few days. :shock: My Tupper-dor is still as rock steady as always, but my glass top has been a biatch to keep steady. I dread even opening that thing...I really should hide the hygro under the tray because that sucker drops 5%+ just in the time it takes me to pick out a smoke. RH in the house right now is arond 44%(love that damn Oregon Scientifc base+remote) with the Heat running occasionaly and my den seems to be right around 68 degrees or so...quite a difference from the 75 degrees it was for the past few months. Had to add some water to the Credo-style humi the other day and it seems to have stabilized now, but it sure dives when I open that lid!

So here's a question: exactly what do the temp fluctuations do to cigars other than cause the RH to fluctuate some? I of course know about the Beetle issue, but other than that.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Temp fluctuations of that size (7 degrees if i read right) will not be an issue at all.

What it does other than the beetle thing is that it can skew the reading of RH. That's the issue actually, it's REALATIVE humidity, meaning realitive to the temperature of the air. Cold air will hold less humidity than hot air, you can find links with more specific deffinitions somewhere online for sure.

I'm sure the superfreak N2 could find a good un. :)

Regarding yours though, it's not a big deal at all, some variation is fine. Mne plumet real fast when I open the door to my humi as well. ND winters are really cold and dry. I just keep the lid closed and it's about 65 every time I open it :)

So basically, if your having more consistant problems than that, it's a problem, right now, it's most likely not to big of a deal from the sound of it.

Cigars are tougher than most people think, they were invented in fact as a way to transport them accross the ocean way way back in the day. So sit back, have a cigar, and worry less :wink: 8)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh boy! In my experience with the Haier wine cellar I have some wild and crazy observations. Things most people would not see in a regular humi, or coolerdor.

The past week or so it has really gotten chilly overnight down here in Florida, with morning temperatures around 50 and overcast most of the day, so the house is usually around 60-65 in the morning. My haier is set to a temperature of 65, so of course the compressor hasn't been running very much. To make matters worse, it has been damp and overcast at teh same time, so by late in the afternoon the temperature inside the house only rises to about 70 - a damp masonary house without sun stays rather cool. It's a nice change from sweltering heat, but it plays havok on my Haier. The morning this cold spell moved in, and the coldest morning this week, I found it at 85% RH - and almost freaked.

Ordinarilly, the compressor runs every half hour or so. That's enough to suck out the RH and keep things around an average of 65%. But to keep it there I have to keep 3 small tupperware tubs filled with polymer crystals, and I keep a drip tray under the cooling element to capture and retain the moisture inside the fridge. Plus I keep a pound or so of Climmax in there for extra buffer. Well, during this cool spell, I had to take out all the polymer, empty the drip tray, and reduce the Haier setting to 60 so that it runs often enough to keep the RH at a more modest 70%.

As the cool spell moves out, I will increase the temperature setting and slowly start putting the polymer crystals back in to get back to normal. Good thing this only happens for a couple of weeks out of the year.