What's new

Temperature?

akpreacherplayz

The Preacher
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
I’ve been looking through the different topics on here and I’m intrigued by the idea of rolling my own cigars. Like a lot of you on here I get consumed by a hobby and eventually end up DIYing it. I was wondering how much temperature effects the leaf, right now the place I would have to roll in is my un-heated garage, would it be crazy to think I can roll in there?

If you think it is viable what is your recommendation on leaf to start with? I know WLT has kits but which do you think is more middle of the road beginner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’ve been looking through the different topics on here and I’m intrigued by the idea of rolling my own cigars. Like a lot of you on here I get consumed by a hobby and eventually end up DIYing it. I was wondering how much temperature effects the leaf, right now the place I would have to roll in is my un-heated garage, would it be crazy to think I can roll in there?

If you think it is viable what is your recommendation on leaf to start with? I know WLT has kits but which do you think is more middle of the road beginner?

I think you can f up your leaf with too much heat; but not too much cold. That's about the whole story on that.

akpreacherplayz

The Preacher
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
I think you can f up your leaf with too much heat; but not too much cold. That's about the whole story on that.
Well I’m in Alaska sooooo too much heat is not a problem, I’m guessing that below freezing probably won’t be good for rolling but what about storage and fluctuating temps?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well I’m in Alaska sooooo too much heat is not a problem, I’m guessing that below freezing probably won’t be good for rolling but what about storage and fluctuating temps?

I still don't think it's a problem, not that I have first-hand experience with that. But for example they freeze the shit out of leaf to kill beetles and it doesn't seem to harm the leaf. Beyond that it's probably common sense and your own observation on the tendency of some things to decay or get freezer-burned or whatever with enough time...

An alternative to kits which I recommend for your first try is buy 1/4lb each of Olor seco and ligero and 1/4lb of some wrapper like the Ec. Habano Viso from LO. You can use the seco for binder. This gives you more leaf to start experimenting with for the same price as a kit.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puttinf the humidor in the basement helps sometime or in a cabinet aways from direct sun light!

On the other hand what is the appropriate RH% to store cigars in Humidor? I am using 72%!

akpreacherplayz

The Preacher
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
How about the kitchen table? I mean, come on. Don't wanna freeze your widdo finkersoff.
Haha that is a consideration but I’ve spent all my life here and I’ve developed a pretty high tolerance.
I don’t mind the cold I was more concerned about the leaf!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this the other day. Enough to last a lifetime. A qrtr of a packet is enough to roll dozens of cigars.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hodgson-Mill-Xanthan-Gum-21-count-6-7-oz/38440605
I use the same thing, it is super cheap and has enough for 5+ years or more. It doesn’t have any taste that I am aware of and it gets really sticky. One thing I would caution is that you get accustomed to the scent so that when the scent changes you can recognize of mold is starting to grow in the glue. I don’t use boiling water to make my glue, I just use room temp water. Make sure to refrigerate the glue when you aren’t using it.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I use the same thing, it is super cheap and has enough for 5+ years or more. It doesn’t have any taste that I am aware of and it gets really sticky. One thing I would caution is that you get accustomed to the scent so that when the scent changes you can recognize of mold is starting to grow in the glue. I don’t use boiling water to make my glue, I just use room temp water. Make sure to refrigerate the glue when you aren’t using it.
And it's gluten free!

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0