What's new

tequila storage

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
i have a nice selection of tequila literally sitting on a top shelf in my den. does tequila go bad after time? does it age well? i kind of want to leave 'em alone,,,looks pretty cool! some of the bottles i've picked up along the way and would be hard to replace. i don't want them to go bad either! longest maybe 6 yrs old.

thanks for any advice,

jeff

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Añejo litterally means aged, but I bet they aren't aged in glass bottles.
I don't think hard alcohol goes bad very easily. You always hear about someone who has found something they forgot about stashed away somewhere.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
If they are unopened they will be fine...if they have been opened, they will not taste right after a period of time. However, they don't continue to age in glass...Won't hurt a thing to leave the bottles sitting there looking nice, though.

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yup I normally drink it before I have to worry about this, however, I do have several bottles just sitting there that have been opened. A couple are at least 3 years old and I don't notice a difference when I drink out of those.

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yanno if your worried they will go bad just send them to me and I will find the will power to drink them.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
"hard" alcohol does not "age" once bottled. Aging takes place in the cask. Scotch for instance ages in oak casks that were used for the storage of bourbon or sherry and takes on the taste of the previous liquid as it loses the harsh alcohol vapors. Once in the bottle it is pretty much set. I have a couple of bottles of CR that were bottled in 1959 that my Dad gave me before he passed. That makes them as old as me and there is no discernable difference it those and the drinks I have when at a bar.

And as Randy said, they're find until opened. Then they tend to lose flavor and alcohol.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
"hard" alcohol does not "age" once bottled. Aging takes place in the cask. Scotch for instance ages in oak casks that were used for the storage of bourbon or sherry and takes on the taste of the previous liquid as it loses the harsh alcohol vapors. Once in the bottle it is pretty much set. I have a couple of bottles of CR that were bottled in 1959 that my Dad gave me before he passed. That makes them as old as me and there is no discernable difference it those and the drinks I have when at a bar.

And as Randy said, they're find until opened. Then they tend to lose flavor and alcohol.
Good info here. Thanks Dan!

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0

Once opened, how long before the flavor diminishes significantly?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tequila ages very badly. Once the bottle is opened, the taste rapidly descends into the "Undrinkable" zone. This phenomenon is not as noticeable in the more expensive Tequilas, but is very pronounced in the cheaper (rotgut) brands such as Jose Quervo.

I personally prefer to drink tequila after I am already drunk, that way I can manage to get it down, even if the liquor has already been "Skunked".

Heheheh.........

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
Yanno if your worried they will go bad just send them to me and I will find the will power to drink them.

i was thinking something along those lines.... more like an open-bar happy hour! a mere 2-stick entrance fee and all the upside-down tequila shooters you can handle! should be a hoot!!

excellent info shared! tks to all!!

jeff

dre

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once opened, how long before the flavor diminishes significantly?
excelent post by djs134.

you have about a year till there is a noticable difference. Scotches and brandies are what I know detererate in flavor for sure. Tequila is made similarly so i would imagine the same time frame for it. Some things like madera will literaly last forever as long as it has a closure.