What's new

The American Way

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've been thinking a lot about we American Cigar Rollers. Anywhere in the world where cigars are made, are we all called Torcedor(es)? If you are an American and roll in America, they call us Home Rollers. The American way is innovative. Some concepts and ideas are born here and some adopted, refined, redefined and cultured. Cigars were not born here but certainly are a large part of the American Culture, one rich in power, influence, wealth and propaganda. So I wonder... is it not the American Way to be a Cigar Roller not a Home Roller? Are Torcedor(es) home verses industry? Do they differentiate? I don't believe they do. If you roll on the concrete floor in a foreign market place... you are a Torcedor... if you roll in a mass manufacturing plant... you are a Torcedor... however if you roll in America and you are American... no one is inclined to call you a Torcedor (nor would I prefer to be referred to as one).

However, having been adopted, I know that being born of the heart is as authentic and valid as having biological roots. We American Cigar Rollers... we are born of the Art... we are as authentic and valid as foreign rollers. If new or with years under our sleeves ... we are legitimately Cigar Rollers. There is a sorta craze to "roll like them" ... I think I personally steer away from that notion. I am American... rolling in an American Market with commercial access to tobacco. I have to do my own packaging, from design to shipment... no packing plant. I work within and around the laws of my own land. Marketing, promotion and distribution done right here in America with the very two hands that roll. So I find it hard to reconcile trying to "roll like them" when I'm so inundated trying to roll like me, an American Cigar Roller.

We are not smoking the culture of the roller... we are smoking their creation... their version... their style. Rolling it like them here in America neither makes me as good as them, like them or my sticks equal to theirs... it simply makes me an American Cigar Roller mimicking the style of another. Like an artist who favors Rembrandt's Creative Style. Above all Rolling sticks like them... will never make me a Torcedor anymore than an American Chef would become or be called a Capocuoco (Italian chef).

I dislike the reference that we are Home Rollers... maybe Private Label or Off Grid Roller or hmmm... American Cigar Roller :p those work fine. I don't roll in my home lab exclusively, I roll events, lounges, clubs, parks, riverside... I pop up anywhere I can and roll. I smoke my own and others smoke my own... just as those who roll abroad. So what then is the American Way? I am also a fine artist... I exhibit and curate my own shows. I am not considered a Home Artist :p I am simply an Artist. I think that is the American Way. If you are adopted, you belong to the culture and people of whom you are adopted. We have adopted the cigar life... it belongs to us too. Europeans introduced cigars which were adopted and became an American Way and now ... a global culture as well. Why are we simply not referred to as American Cigar Rollers? When I think of Home Rolls... I think of something hot with butter and jam spread all over it and made by my mama.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
In my opinion, I think you are a "cigar roller" if you do it professionally. If not, you are a home roller just like beer would be considered "home brew" unless made commercially.

I am not sure why the classification would need to be "American" though. You don't often hear of them referenced to as "Nicaraguan cigar rollers" or "Dominican cigar rollers" or "Honduran cigar rollers". Country is used to reference the cigars or tobacco, not the rollers. If you roll cigars, you roll cigars, where you are from or where you do it doesn't matter to me.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
In my opinion, I think you are a "cigar roller" if you do it professionally. If not, you are a home roller just like beer would be considered "home brew" unless made commercially.

I am not sure why the classification would need to be "American" though. You don't often hear of them referenced to as "Nicaraguan cigar rollers" or "Dominican cigar rollers" or "Honduran cigar rollers". Country is used to reference the cigars or tobacco, not the rollers. If you roll cigars, you roll cigars, where you are from or where you do it doesn't matter to me.
You would think... but in London they do reference American made cigars... and American Rollers :p. We may not reference ourselves but we r referenced often abroad

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Came here to post that last one. Haha. Might need to design a t-shirt for it.
There's no might about it! Sign me up when you do!!

I don't refer to myself as a torcedor. I let people know that are interested that I roll cigars and I call the cigars that I roll "custom rolls" because that what we do. We make "custom" blends and sizes etc. I don't get hung up on labels much though.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
There's no might about it! Sign me up when you do!!

I don't refer to myself as a torcedor. I let people know that are interested that I roll cigars and I call the cigars that I roll "custom rolls" because that what we do. We make "custom" blends and sizes etc. I don't get hung up on labels much though.
When I used to tell people I was a Torcedor... they ALWAYS said... What's that? Interestingly... no one asks me when I just say I Roll Cigars :p lol... They just ask about the process after that and begin staring at me with googalie eyes like I'm a rolls with suicide doors :p lol ... I guess in my life I've been forced to face and choose labels so much that I'm hyper sensitive... This was yet another label ... but the origin and how it applies to us as Rollers detached from the culture and origin of the name was interesting to me. ;)

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The modern zeitgeist insists we both deny and eschew labels. This is foolishness. Every field of knowledge begins with a careful taxonomy. Learning first assumes that the pen can conquer chaos. Progress is not a product of change, but of retention. First, identify; then evaluate; then decide how to proceed from there

... and now back to your regular programming

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The modern pop-psych insists we both deny and eschew labels. This is foolishness. Every field of knowledge begins with a careful taxonomy. Learning first assumes that the pen can conquer chaos. Progress is not a product of change, but of retention. First, identify; then evaluate; then decide how to proceed from there

... and now back to your regular programming
Chewing on that beautiful wordsmithology ;)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The word "Torcedor" sounds like something to do with bull fighting. I'm not Spanish so it doesn't fit me at all.

In American history the American Craftsman style developed out of the British Arts and Crafts movement going on since the 1860s. So I'd be inclined to use the term "cigar crafter".

OR...better yet

We could use some newer American lingo and say we are... "Ambassadors of twizzle" now that's off the hizzle... fo shizzle. It's all good my homies. :cigar: