What's new

The Cat's Ass! -- Kopi Luwak

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I've not had the opportunity ...yet, of trying this brew out, everything I hear is that it's pretty awesome. Though it IS expensive as hell [how DOES $160/lb sound?!]. Oughta go great with a RP '92.

Check six. ~(*_*)~

If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around. - Will Rogers

http://www.animalcoffee.com/products.php?cat=12

The Luwak (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus) denizen of the coffee (kopi) plantations of Java, Sumatra, and Sulawesi, eats only the ripest coffee cherries. Unable to digest the coffee beans, the Luwak graciously deposits them on the jungle floor where they are eagerly collected by the locals. The stomach acids and enzymatic action involved in this unique fermentation process produces the beans for the world’s rarest coffee beverage.

Meet the luwak (Paradoxus hermaphroditus) the animal responsible for kopi luwak. Luwak are related to the mongoose and are slightly larger than a household cat. There are a number of different types of luwaks, which can be found right throughout the tropics, however the particular species that produces kopi luwak is concentrated in south east Asia. They are nocturnal by nature and steal through the coffee plantations wreaking havoc on the crop of the unfortunate coffee farmer.

Luwak are largely arboreal (tree dwelling) and spend much of their time sniffing around in the trees for their favourite foods which includes most tropical fruit. They are very capable climbers, although the individual pictured here has been domesticated for too long and is grossly overweight.

In addition to the production of kopi, luwak are also prized for the civet musk produced by scent glands near the base of their tail. Civet musk was a common base for many popular perfumes although it is now being replaced by synthetic substitutes that are more easily obtained and more humane. Civet musk is reportedly 'harvested' by deliberately irritating the luwak's civet glands through scraping, an exercise that is sure to be unenjoyable for the luwak.

Attachments

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Come here, you little monkeycat"....

I have been trying to convince a friend of mine that this stuff is real, but she refuses to believe me.

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Yes, it's supposed to be very good, but I don't think I have the connoisseur taste to discern the smooth intestinal nuances and truly enjoy anything beyond that straight off the tree.