What's new

The Cuban Dimple

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Don't always show up great in pics but sometimes I'll get a cc box and all the cigar heads have a dimple under the cap. Mostly SLR and JL but I've seen it in other marcas iirc.

Figured I'd ask the rollers here, is the roller just showing off, how is it achieved? Does it help the cigar draw better? For the record, the 2 boxes (may be more that I can't recall atm) I have with dimples have smoked great since I bought them fresh a few years ago and I'm about halfway through the JL1.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
It's just the binder twist that gets pushed into the head of the cigar before wrapping and capping. I don't think there is any real benefit to the draw or show of skill, but I still enjoy when I get a cigar that has the dimple or when I can roll one that has one.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey Merovious

Say you bunched up filler leaves inside a binder leaf, then chopped off the end so you had a perfect cylinder. So now you have this square ended tootsie roll in your hand.

Next step, you wrap a finer textured wrapper leaf spiraling up the toosie roll. When you reach that squared off end, your wrapper keeps on travelling, giving you some overhand. You just gwabble that up so it wads on the end of your cylinder. Now the head is getting more convex.

Now you cut a bit of leaf into an elongated teardrop shape. That's your flag that you see there in your picture at the very head of the gar. I put a red arrow here to show the flag:

Of course, your flag also folds over the head of your tootsie roll. That adds to your gwabbled up wad of leaf. Rounder still. You can see how you are developing a rounded shoulder to the head. What you don't see is the wad that would be in the end of that crater.

Last, you cut a round cap to dress up all that rounded shoulder and wadded excess.

Now that you know what's inside there, you can imagine how if you cut your cap way back you are going to have a straight ended tootsie roll to suck on; but if you just cut around the very cap of it, then your wad is coming out with your cap, leaving a dimpled end... which is what you see.

So it's not so much that the roller creates a dimple. It's more that the smoker cuts his cap and his wad comes with it, leaving a crater.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I shave the cap off of most of my cigars lately. This has worked particularly well with some junky duller guillotines I have laying around at not cracking the wrapper, and has the added benefit of being able to peel out that dimple.

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Yeah, many of the Habanos I have smoked recently do have this aforementioned "dimple". I like StogieNinja shave the cap off. I don't want to waste any precious tobacco. The ones with the dimple have smoked well so I feel it's a good thing from my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0

start watching at the 5 minute mark when the cap starts forming... more precisely the 540 mark when they take the tiny pigtail-ish part and poke it into the cap just before applying the circular third cap.

this one is a better view.. at the 4 minute mark.
Yup, when I said binder I meant wrapper. Excellent videos

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's just the binder twist that gets pushed into the head of the cigar before wrapping and capping. I don't think there is any real benefit to the draw or show of skill, but I still enjoy when I get a cigar that has the dimple or when I can roll one that has one.
Some rollers (typically Cuban) enhance it by tweezing out a hole in the bunch head where they jam the twisted cap stuff with their finger nail, too. More dimply that way.