What's new

The Demise of Dominican Cigars?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
An interesting article on the reason Dominican tobacco may one day be a thing of the past.

http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/the-dominican-cigar-guide/

Dominican cigars are beautiful testaments to perfection and incredible works of artistry. Unfortunately, we have little guarantee this will last. As JFK stockpiled Cuban cigars before signing the embargo, you too should consider buying as many Dominican cigars as you can, because you never know when the day might come that you can’t.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don't know.

As far as variations in demand are concerned, if tobacco cultivation in the DR survived the post-boom bust, it could survive today, too.

As far as variations in product quality are concerned, the late 90's, earyl 2000's didn't bring down the Cuban cigar industry.

If the main point of DR's business model was relying on the fact that cigar tobacco couldn't be bought elsewhere (i.e. from Cuba), then they'll have to scale-down until product qualitiy becomes their selling point.

Anyhow, it would be nice if the experts referred to in the article would be named, and get statements from Davidoff and Fuente about the problems of qualitiy consitency etc.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Nothing in that article was very well supported. Strong usage of "many," "some," and other vague language. I'm not convinced.

The author also assumes the only way to deal with being incapable of keeping up with demand is to crumple.

Rating - 100%
165   0   0
The writer's assertions are not based on facts. From 2010-2013 there 18.02% increase in the number of cigars imported from the DR according to the Cigar Association of America showing steady increase in the importing of Dominican cigars. While, Nicaragua has seen a much larger increase in exporting to the US than the DR there is absolutely no reason to worry about the DR. From 2012 to 2013 there was a slight increase of 0.7%, but that just means the exporting might've reached their production capacity for now.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/17559

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I did some more research and it looks like the story borrows heavily from a CA story written around 03 or so. So, outdated info and a lot of assumptions.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I hear "Chicken Little" more these days than ever and love when facts are left out to make the story even more less convincing. "Sources say that tobacco will evaporate in the fields when the planets align in a particular way".....and in another news story .......

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I did some more research and it looks like the story borrows heavily from a CA story written around 03 or so. So, outdated info and a lot of assumptions.
Maybe you should have done the research first.Or are you looking for a job with the Media ?