What's new

The International Cellar Club

Gabriel Theodoulos

Uncle Gabe
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All!

I'm sure many of you know about this, but for those who don't, I had recently discovered The International Cellar Club.

Many pipe enthusiasts store their pipe tobaccos in Mason Jars.

The International Cellar Club provides a way to make and share round Avery Mason Jar labels.

Here are some of the labels I've made up over the past month:

Last edited:

Gabriel Theodoulos

Uncle Gabe
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the labels I've printed off for my cellar, most of which I had made myself.

Out of these 23 labels, I had personally made 16 of them. It's amazing what a person can do with gobs of time on their hands!

If anyone needs labels made up, let me know. As I said, I have gobs of time on my hands and I have to admit I'm having fun doing these.

ADDENDUM: Made another one for a fellow pipe smoker:

Last edited:

Gabriel Theodoulos

Uncle Gabe
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up, something exactly like this was posted on pipes magazine and ended with the owner of the website being tracked down and served with a cease and desist letter, after a VERY lengthy debate.
The argument is asinine. I would agree that copyrights would be infringed if the website and/or designers were claiming ownership of the designs and/or making a profit off of their art-work, but they are not. If push comes to shove, something like this would fall under the "fair use" parameters, as long as there is no physcial profit nor attempts to claim ownership.

Matter of fact, most tobacconists would consider this free PR.

Personally, I would consider most instagators of such an argument nothing more than trolls

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The argument is asinine. I would agree that copyrights would be infringed if the website and/or designers were claiming ownership of the designs and/or making a profit off of their art-work, but they are not. If push comes to shove, something like this would fall under the "fair use" parameters, as long as there is no physcial profit nor attempts to claim ownership.

Matter of fact, most tobacconists would consider this free PR.

Personally, I would consider most instagators of such an argument nothing more than trolls
You may consider them trolls, but the brand reps who served the site operator a cease and desist letter did not. It's not about claiming ownership, it's about the legal necessity of enforcing copyrights to set a precedent for enforcing serious infringements should they arise. Unless you're a copyright or patent attorney, Im sorry but you just don't really have a valid voice in that argument.

Gabriel Theodoulos

Uncle Gabe
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may consider them trolls,....
I'm sorry my friend, I think you misunderstood me.

I wasn't referring to "them" as the troll.

:LOL:

But to be serious, it would be a veritable "crud storm" for a company to throw a cease and desist order on a fan of one of their products. Word would get out that Brand __________ is throwing out threats at their customers. And the legal cost? Sure lawyers on retainer are already paid for, but the costs still pile up, because you know the old adage, "time is money". In the end, any sane business would know it would be shooting themselves in the foot with such bad PR.

Look at an example: Disney. Disney owns Marvel and these fandom conventions that come around all the time is awesome PR for the company. Now, imagine Disney getting all snooty over people dressing up like Spiderman or Captain America. Is that copyright infringement? Sure is! Another example is CBS and Universal Studios getting all uppity over Star Trek fans making fan-boy YouTube videos. Sure, I think ST:Axanar did cross a line: they raised money to hire professionals, but the crud-storm that followed .... CBS and Universal are still reeling over it!

If I owned a blending company and I saw such activity, I would look into it and see if any profits was being generated. If not, I would reach out to the web site and remind them that my business logos were on some of those labels and that they need to make sure no extemporaneous profits were being made. If my company and that website were on the same page, then honestly, I would provide some better resolution clip-art for their members! Like I said, free PR! Matter of fact, I do know one or two companies who have done this already (I'm looking at the great folk at The Country Squire who provided clip-art to another label designer. Kudos to you!)

Would I delete any label owned by a company that asked me to delete it? Sure, but I would make very sure enough of my BotLs would be included in the news. People just don't like jerks, and such actions by a big company one a small guppy fan... well, it usually leaves a very BAD taste in everyone's mouth and associates their products with a foul money-grubbing company.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Okay but a cease and desist was literally served in the case i reference, so I'm not really sure why you're continuing to argue it.

Gabriel Theodoulos

Uncle Gabe
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay but a cease and desist was literally served in the case i reference, so I'm not really sure why you're continuing to argue it.
1. Do you know what site was served the C&D?
2. What was the company that served it?
3. Do you know which label was considered "offensive"?

I am very much interested for multiple reasons. First off, rumors spread across the Internet faster than telegraph, telephone, television, or tell-a-girl! And while the originator of said information might have good intentions, the information ultimately received is extremely faulty.

The second reason I am very interested in knowing WHO the offended company is. Any blender who behaves like this to customer fans doesn't deserve my patronage, and I will most gladly avoid promoting their products by making labels for them free of charge.

What I will do is take the information you provide and verify it (hey, I'm retired and have lots of time on my hands!). If it's accurate, AND I enjoy their product, I'll ask permission to use their copyrighted material. I've done this more than a few times in the past and have found with most companies, that when they know there is no profit (or lampooning, which many are more concerned over) they really don't have a problem.

... Unless you're a copyright or patent attorney, Im sorry but you just don't really have a valid voice in that argument.
It's truly a shameful pity that so many are ignorant enough to consider a college education to be morally superior than a lifetime of experience. Even though I hold three college degrees myself, I have learned that there are many who possess greater wisdom, because of their personal experiences. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Last edited:

Gabriel Theodoulos

Uncle Gabe
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I did find out which tobacco blender had made that fuss.

I was PM'd by one of the admins, notifying me that we need to avoid posting the Bengal Slices label on the International Cellar Club's database. According to the Admin, SToP didn't actually send out a Cease & Desist, but they did make a big stink on the forums, so it was decided to pull their labels. :sad:

So, if anyone sees this Bengal Slices label in the International Cellar Club, please let us know, so we can remove it.

Last edited: