What's new

The last 1/4 of an inch left in the bowl.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
For the life of me I can't smoke the last quarter inch of a bowl regardless of the pipe or tobacco.

I can't keep it lit and it tastes harsh and cashed. (let me know if you need an explanation on 'cashed' :wink:)

So, unless someone can shed some light on this for me, I have decided to just not worry about it and except that as the bowl being finished.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I have no clue but I'd like to hear someones answer so I will post thing in hopes of getting an email notification! :angel:

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I'm still wondering what Cashed is :dunno: Sounds like a Northern term :stickbeat

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I belive the expression, "It's all cashed out" means it's all gone...???

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Don't worry about it Todd ... many pipsters I know also feel this way. To me the last part of a pipe bowl is like the last inch of a cigar. All the tars, oils, other flavoids, etc . have been filtered through this part and are now concentrated. The result is usually hot and nasty tasting.

Of course there are exceptions. I've had quite a few bowls that smoked cool and dry all the way down to where there was noting left in the bowl but ash.

FYI ... the name for this last bit of burned/unburned tobacco is "dottle".

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I think I have had maybe one bowl out say 50 now that was good until I was sucking ash.

Dang it, I knew that was what it was called and totally forgot, thanks Ted.

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
I know i'm a newbie but, here's my opinion. Depends on the tobac, is it cased or straight virginia blend. Sometimes, the heavier cased will get soupy at the end. Sometimes, its just from smoken to hard and too fast. Some tobac needs to be sipped to get the the bottom. Make sure you are not smoking the actual briar!

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I mainly smoke English/Balkan blend tobaccos. It's not even moist...it's charred and dried up most of the time.

Oh and BTW, don't worry about commenting because you are new here. Your posts and opinions will be given the appropriate amount of respect regardless. :thumbsup:

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
Do you get the same taste with all your pipes or just the one? How broken in is the pipe? How full to you fill the bowl?

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
It happens with both pipes I use for my English blend the most. One is very broken in and caked well, I got it from Tedski here on BOTL...the other is fairly new comparatively speaking, it's a Savinelli bulldog.

I pretty much experience this with all tobaccos and in all my pipes...specifically, but not limited to, when they are packed full and smoked in one sitting.

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
My first "grown up" pipe was a Savinelli bulldog! Smoked nothing but latikia blends in it. That was about 9 years ago and the bowl still smells like a forest fire!

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
nice picks! When I purchased the pipe, the owner packed it full and said with a smirk, hope ya like it! He thought it was real funny but it turned out from the first clean pull, that I LOVED the flavor! It was Penzance! That was my first non aromatic experience!

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I love the latakia blends.

Ya know, some people call latakia blends aromatics because it is cured with smoke and they consider the smokiness an additive.

Personally, I feel that if it isn't cased with a flavor additive then it is a natural tobacco.

sgresso

Long hair Dork
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
so how long todd till you open a pipe shop at your house?
I think you got me beat on OCD starting out on pipes.

Wait till you go to your first pipe and tobacco show.
I wait for that day and the pics of the carnage after that.....btw bring cash and leave the CC at home....

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
I mainly smoke English/Balkan blend tobaccos. It's not even moist...it's charred and dried up most of the time.

Oh and BTW, don't worry about commenting because you are new here. Your posts and opinions will be given the appropriate amount of respect regardless. :thumbsup:
What he really said was "we know you're new, we're going to go easy on you until we get to know you. Then we'll ride you relentlessly..."

:agreesmil :hysterica