What's new

The long and short of it

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
(First I want to say, I post these things for fun and you all have some great input, advice and I do it to learn from you all, so I hope you don't mind. I plan on posting a question a day until I get bored or run out of question. Let me know if I am out-of-bounds)

Long filler

Short filler

Combined long/short filler

What are your feelings on each?
What are the pro's and con's?
Is there a top-of -the-line short filler and or mixed filler cigar?

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Like so many other things in life, remember that

Long = Good

Short = Bad

Combined can sometimes be alright, especially in the Yad'Gar variety.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Just to say. I think alot of your cigar related questions should probably be in a cigar forum. Just for future info.

:thumbsup:

That aside, long filler all the way. The pros and cons go like this. Pros for long filler are better burns, more conisitent flavors, flavors will change as you burn down to the head etc etc. I can't think of any cons when comparing long filler to short filler. With short filler you'll find uneven burns and uneven flavors. I just really can't see any reason to pick short filler over long filler. YMMV.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Aren't mixed filler cigars called 'cuban sandwiches' sometimes? Or did I just make that up?
Anyways, AF Curlyheads are definitely one of the better short filler cigars IMO. Haven't had too many others to be honest.

TYLER

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Questions keep the board active no doubt. I would suggest doing a few searches for thinks your not sure about to look for existing answers.

Long filler is used for most hand rolled and premium cigars. Better for aging, better for smoking, better more even burning and you pay more for them always.

Short filler is used most often in machine made or your low cost cigars. Can be ok for smoking, but has more burn issues, ash falls off, burns uneven, cost much less. Usually comes from scraps from the long filler and leftovers.

Combined I believe is like Halon says, a Cuban sandwich. Just mix of the two. Some makes might use a long leave for a bonder and short for the filler/middle.