What's new

The lowly ashtray

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
There's always talk on the boards about cutters, pokers, humidors, travel cases, lighters and such but not much about the lowly ashtray. Of course, it's not a very exciting accessory, just a hollowed out blob of glass, ceramic or plastic with a groove or two to hold your cigar. But all this recent smoking while relaxing on the deck I've been doing has pointed up the fact that I need to get an ashtray. I'm tired of having to carefully set my smoke down while grilling or reading so that the deck railing or table doesn't get burned. Also, sometimes when I look back up, the damn thing has rolled away. I don't care about the ashes themselves since they just blow away in a light breeze but I do want my cigar to safely stay where I leave it. I'm going to the local tobacconist sometime this week to see if they have any. Nothing fancy, just something heavy enough to not blow away if I leave it outside.
Do you use an ashtray specifically for cigars? Is yours just functional or is it a fashion accessory?

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have an AVO ashtray, the one from the take five deal, that I use at home while smoking in my hottub at home.

However I do have a Cohiba ashtray on my desk at work that does not get used. Not because I dont smoke at work, but because it is just too nice.
It was a gift to me from the Tubaman and it looks neat as hell.

Now if I could just find a neat lighter that I like that I am willing to spend the cash for.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
john tripp said:
However I do have a Cohiba ashtray on my desk at work that does not get used. Not because I dont smoke at work, but because it is just too nice.
It was a gift to me from the Tubaman and it looks neat as hell.
Dave gifted me a Cohiba ashtray -- only 'stray I have so it does get used when smoking indoors.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I have two Cohiba Ashtrays. One with the full logo and one with the "indian head" or whatever it is and the word Cohiba. Both are functional and are used, but I like the looks as well. I forget who sells it, but I remember reading on CW about...what was it...the Stinky Ashtray or something like that? Fairly plain, but quite functional. Very deep. Here 'tis: Stinky Ashtray.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
I have a few but only use one.

The first one is a cool leaf ashtray. It was on of the first hits from Eric that started our exchange which turned into the war. It is too nice to use so it sits on my mantle.
http://galleries.cigarweekly.com/DWavs/album06/DSCN0584

The second one is an antique that sits in my finished basement. I used it one time...at the Middletown herf last summer. I let people use it while we were having our foosball tournament.
http://galleries.cigarweekly.com/DWavs/album06/DSCN0585

The third one is for exactly what Brian described. It is a cheapo ebay ashtray that keeps my cigar from rolling away. Since I smoke outside, I keep it out there on the table on the patio. It is nothing special and therefore, I don't even have a pic to share.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
At Eds? I stopped by there yesterday but he was closed. I was bummed. I had to go ahead and order one item I need online (not the ashtray) since I'm not sure when I'll be able to get back there. What are his hours? I didn't see them posted at the store.

smokinafuente

This space for rent.
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Martinsburg, WV ...Home of the Martinsburg Mafia.
windowrx said:
At Eds? I stopped by there yesterday but he was closed. I was bummed. I had to go ahead and order one item I need online (not the ashtray) since I'm not sure when I'll be able to get back there. What are his hours? I didn't see them posted at the store.

The Hours are -

Mon - Sat 10:00am till 6:00 pm

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I just recently bought one of the large 4 cigar Padron ashtrays (all black with gold lettering) from the local B&M for about $25. Great for outside on the deck, nice and heavy and plenty of room for guests.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Rodney, I was able to get back over to Ed's last week and bought the Craftsman's Bench Olympus in black. It's sooooo nice to have a place to set my cigar down. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I have a huge black ceramic Ashton and a Padron 4 cigar ashtrays I keep outside in 2 of my smoking areas...lots of room!