What's new

The Official Budget Stick Thread

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
It seems there are enough people here who, like me, are interested in finding those odd "diamonds in the rough" - great sticks at reasonable prices - to warrant a thread dedicated to it.

So, I thought this could be a place where people share their experiences with cheaply priced cigars.

Recommendations always welcome (in both the "MUST BUY" and "STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS" categories)!

Here's my first question:

Oliva has two very cheap lines that look quite nice - Flor de Oliva, and Calle Ocho.

Are either of them worth a darn?

MattBell

Will work for Dirty Rats
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Oliva Serie G Robusto Maduro. At around $80/box, sign me up.

Also, the 5 Vegas sticks are pretty cheap and every one I've had has been pretty good. Especially for the cost.

Farani

Actually a Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Great budget smokes:
Man O' War Virtue
Man O' War Ruination
601 Blue Maduro
601 Green

All of those can be had at $4 a stick or less and are worth every penny. $4 a stick to me is a budget smoke...

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Oliva Serie G Robusto Maduro. At around $80/box, sign me up.

Also, the 5 Vegas sticks are pretty cheap and every one I've had has been pretty good. Especially for the cost.

Yeah, I have a box of Oliva Serie G Maduro Torpedo at home. Love them.

I haven't found a 5 Vegas I've liked, though. The Gold wasn't bad, just totally...bland.

The Gold Maduro, however, I didn't even finish. Was like smoking dirt.

P.S. - MattBell, check your PM's :p

Rating - 100%
62   0   1
Get a fiver of Diesel Unholy Cocktail if you haven't already. Nice. And for a decent 5 Vegas, try a Relic or five. Stay away from those Golds......bleah! Just one guy's opinion. CAO Black Bengal is a really nice medium body stick for me also.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Great budget smokes:
Man O' War Virtue
Man O' War Ruination
601 Blue Maduro
601 Green

All of those can be had at $4 a stick or less and are worth every penny. $4 a stick to me is a budget smoke...

Yeah, those are great sticks at good values.

I'm looking, though, at sticks that are SUPER cheap, like $2 or less, and still good.

Like the two I mentioned in the first post - Calle Ocho and Flor de Oliva. Both are $2 sticks. I'm wondering if either of them are any good, considering they're both made by Oliva.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
This is a thread I'll probably have to visit fairly often :grin:. Diesel is a great cheapie and I like the regular Man O' War also.

Dan

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
This is a thread I'll probably have to visit fairly often :grin:. Diesel is a great cheapie and I like the regular Man O' War also.

Dan

I've found that A.J. Fernandez pretty consistently makes incredible cigars.

He's becoming one of my very favorites.

MattBell

Will work for Dirty Rats
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Yeah, I have a box of Oliva Serie G Maduro Torpedo at home. Love them.

I haven't found a 5 Vegas I've liked, though. The Gold wasn't bad, just totally...bland.

The Gold Maduro, however, I didn't even finish. Was like smoking dirt.

P.S. - MattBell, check your PM's :p
I can see what you mean about the Gold. I'm pretty sure they were my first box ever. They are a kinda boring smoke, but I LOVE the leather in the final 3rd. It's one of the most leathery sticks I can remember.

Checking PM now. :)

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I've got a Calle Ocho in my humi from some CI mixed bag sampler. I can smoke it this weekend and let ya know how it goes.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I've got a Calle Ocho in my humi from some CI mixed bag sampler. I can smoke it this weekend and let ya know how it goes.

That would be fantastic!

It looks like it has a beautifully oily and toothy wrapper, which is (to me) very enticing.

But I'd like to know how it burns and tastes :)

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I vote of the Oliva bundles myself and they are available in three (3) different wrappers - 100% Nic, Nic Maduro and Connecticut! :cbig:

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I vote of the Oliva bundles myself and they are available in three (3) different wrappers - 100% Nic, Nic Maduro and Connecticut! :cbig:

You mean the Calle Ocho and Flor de Oliva blends, Larry?

Or are you speaking of actual Oliva-brand cigars?

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Well my personal favorite "cheapie" smoke is the Don Tomas Classico Natural Robusto. $62 for a box of 25, so its less than 3 bucks a stick, and it never fails to sooth my appetite when I am in the mood for something that I cant devote my attention to fully but they have enough flavour to keep me in.
I have heard the Quorum bundles at $21 for 20 are pretty good, but I have no experience with them, so its your peril on those heh.
Don Pepin makes a cigar called Tobaccos Biez SF...I do not like them at all, too much pepper and astrigent flavours that linger, and they have been aging in my humi for almost a year now. They were $38 for 20 Coronas.
Just my 2 cents.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
ZedMan, count me in on the Don Tomas Clasico love! I LOVE that cigar, and it's so cheap!

Well, here in the USA it is. Back home in Canada it's about $250 a box. And even at that, it's still cheap compared to everything else.

When I was first getting into cigars a few months back I was inquiring around Ottawa about Rocky Patel The Edge. $560 for a box was the lowest price I could find.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Definitely Diesel UC. 3$ish if you buy by the box. With 6+ months on them, they really smooth out, and become a great smoke.