What's new

The PERFECT Cut

DocRKS

Herf Doctor
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have always believed that getting a proper cut is imperative to the full enjoyment of your prized smokes. A dull/cheap blade will squash the stick and definitely detract from the full flavor and draw ease of the cigar. While I have always been very satisfied with the various Xikars, Palios and SAKs that I own - thanks to "OHIO" Santa - I have just experienced what I have found to be the BEST cutting system I have ever used.

I am referring to the "DONATUS" scissors - made in Germany - Solingen Steel - they come bautifully packaged and include a leather carrying sheath. These scissors are shaped like they won a futuristic space age design competition - but the way these are made - the smoothness of their operation - and the surgically sharp cut they deliver elevates them to the "BEST" of all cutters I own.

Thanks to Bro. Randy for this awesome gift. :smt114 :smt114 :smt114 :smt114

Ironman

Master Baby Maker-Feb BoM
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Sounds like a great cutter, I actually have not been happy with my Xikar since the day I bought it? Not as clean a cut as I would like and sometimes does crush the cigar :smt093

I have been very happy with my SAK cutter although a little bulky it make a perfect cut everytime :D

I'll have to look into the Donatus, thanks for the tip :smt023

Ironman

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Agree with you 100% Ironman. Though I love the design of the Xikar, It just doesn't give the best cut. Haven't really compared it to others, but it can be hard to get it positioned correctly (if not using the lay-it-on-the-table method) and for me at least, it tends to cut unevenly towards the middle.

DocRKS

Herf Doctor
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Not quite Bro. Rich - the shape of the handles on mine is way different - I don't see the mention of the leather pouch with the one on the site you listed -- I'll try to get a digital pix and send it to you after the Holidays....

Merry Christmas to You and Yours ------ Roman

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'm anxious to see this cutter, too. I've never been real happy with any of the cutters I have.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
I have not been overly happy with my Xikar either. Doesn't seem to cut even in the middle of the cigar. Same thing with my SAK. Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong. :smt102

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ironman said:
Sounds like a great cutter, I actually have not been happy with my Xikar since the day I bought it? Not as clean a cut as I would like and sometimes does crush the cigar
Ironman
Send it back for a free replacement I'm about to send mine back does the same thing and it sticks a little but My xikar2 cuts nicely I broke the first one but they sent me another one no problem I like it better than the origanal xikar.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
artie97 said:
Was doing a search for cutters and found this

http://www.cigar-cult.at/englisch/be203.htm
I read this article and found it interesting...I tend to disagree with the double bladed Xikar giving a better cut than the Palio cutter....I have both and the Palio gives a superior cut every time IMO...me thinks the Palio best cutter for the money...I have no personal test data on cutters over 49 usd

Ironman

Master Baby Maker-Feb BoM
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
mark5 said:
Send it back for a free replacement I'm about to send mine back does the same thing and it sticks a little but My xikar2 cuts nicely I broke the first one but they sent me another one no problem I like it better than the origanal xikar.
I think thats what I'm going to do, thanks Mark

Ironman

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The XiKar cuts best with a swift stroke. A slow cut, hesitation or a pause mid-cut, and it does not work nearly as well as a when you cut with authority. I like my XiKar and if it ever stops performing up to my expectations I plan to send it in for a sharpening or for replacement. It sounds like the company stands behind its product which is good to hear.

That being said, I am intrigued by a cutter that has been subject to the rigors of a side-by-side DocRKS comparison!