What's new

The worst game of "Survivor"...

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I'm sure there are plenty of you out there that will understand this. Yesterday we went through another round of "Lay-offs" or "Reduction in Force" or whatever the hell the current politically correct BS term is for it.

In our particular company, which was purchased within the last 2 years, we have been through 4 years of this stuff. After yesterday's round everyone got together at a bar (our lay-off ritual) and in discussions the situation was related to a game of Survivor. So I guess i can say I've survived another round. Unfortunately, in this game of Survivor, you don't get to vote off the people you don't like and you don't get a prize at the end. Unless you consider more work with less resources a prize. In this game, all you lose are friends.

Everytime this happens you think it won't be as bad as the last time. Yesterday we knew what was happening in the morning and everyone laughed it off. We've been through this before, bah, this is no big deal, we are either here or not, what's to get upset about? Well that lasted right up until they started pulling people into the conference room one by one. Then it hits. That pit of the stomach feeling when you see your friends being axed one by one.

Now today it's back to the grind, working with what we have and waiting for management to wrestle all the extra work into some form of recognizable order. And on we go...I guess I'll have to form a new alliance (lunch group) now, eh?

Sorry for the downer, just felt like venting.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I've been dealing with layoffs for 20 years. I was only personally affected once ... when the entire company (Memorex) decided to move from CA to NC. All people who didn't want to move were laid off over 18 months. I was one of the last to go.

It does suck, but it's part of business life. Remember though ... you did not lose FRIENDS ... only CO-WORKERS.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
tedski said:
It does suck, but it's part of business life. Remember though ... you did not lose FRIENDS ... only CO-WORKERS.
Yeah I know, but most of the people I work with are spread out enough that I don't get to see them much outside of work. So sometimes it gets hard to keep in touch.