What's new

Them!!!! Oh, you know!

Benzopyrene

BoM June 08
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
I was thinking about how frustrated I get when people try to mention smoking cigars in their conversations just to try and impress somebody around them. I all to often find myself out at a bar hanging out with some friends of my friends, when somebody decides to have an overly voluminous conversation about how when they went down to Mexico they bought a bunch of cuban cigars and brought them back, or how they know everything there is to know about cigars because they've smoked one or two recently. I often times have to catch myself before jumping straight into the conversation to find out how much they really know. I dont really know why this bothers me, but I see cigars as an art. Its not just something you smoke. Its a combination of natures finest, rolled into something perfect. The pleasure come from the flavors, the aromas, the nourishment put into each cigar, and the company you share them with. I take pride in my collection. A cigar is not simply a combustable object, but something that desevers a little respect. Maybe thats why Im always ready to jump in and show someone that they dont know nearly as much as they think they do. Or who knows, maybe its just a new type of cluster C personality disorder. :stickbeat

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I usually just let them go on about it however they want. Unless the person or persons they are misleading seems genuinely interested in hearing about cigars.

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I was thinking about how frustrated I get when people try to mention smoking cigars in their conversations just to try and impress somebody around them. I all to often find myself out at a bar hanging out with some friends of my friends, when somebody decides to have an overly voluminous conversation about how when they went down to Mexico they bought a bunch of cuban cigars and brought them back, or how they know everything there is to know about cigars because they've smoked one or two recently. I often times have to catch myself before jumping straight into the conversation to find out how much they really know. I dont really know why this bothers me, but I see cigars as an art. Its not just something you smoke. Its a combination of natures finest, rolled into something perfect. The pleasure come from the flavors, the aromas, the nourishment put into each cigar, and the company you share them with. I take pride in my collection. A cigar is not simply a combustable object, but something that desevers a little respect. Maybe thats why Im always ready to jump in and show someone that they dont know nearly as much as they think they do. Or who knows, maybe its just a new type of cluster C personality disorder. :stickbeat

with a handle like yours...i certainly wouldn;t want to get into a cigar argument with you!

:rofl: :stretchgr

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Before I found this forum I was all about Cubans without even knowing anything about them. I probably only smoked two sticks before I got some Cuban, thats if they were Cubans. If you asked me to point out the Cuban I probably couldn't even do that.
After reading stuff on this forum I'm convinced I don't need a Cuban to enjoy the cigar smoking experience. There are so many great stick that aren't grown in Cuba.

I think people like you described probably smoke a hand full of sticks that might have been Cuban and don't even know what was so great about them. People like that are experts on everything.....

I just tell people I can get them F'd up with a non-cuban if thats what they want.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I don't even MENTION about Cuban cigars unless the other person brings it up...and I'll only continue beyond a cursory overview style of discussion if it's obvious that the other person is already knowledgeable about them.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It gets on my nerves too - ESPECIALLY when I'm in a humidor and I hear one guy giving another guy terrible advice on what to smoke. (I kid you not I once saw a guy light a cigar and try to puff off it without ever cutting it.:nodlaugh: ) I usually just nod my head and smile to myself. I always want to give advice or jump in just because I love sharing the cigar hobby - but tend to keep my mouth shut. After all, it really annoys me when people jump into my converstations.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think that as long as the person is speaking well of cigars and of the hobby in general, I approve. It sends a good message to others who may not be cigar smokers. If, however, they are giving bad advice like "you can't get a good cigar for less than 10 dollars", or "try this CC that I bought in the Bahamas," I'll try to give them some advice. No need to turn more people against cigars.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
ever try to humor a guy that doesnt know squat about sticks?? like tonight i went bar hopping and ended up at the local strip club. i was halfway througha vsg tres mystique when i walked in and the DJ noticed me smoking it. he went over to the bars (very small) humidor and offered me what he claimed is "one of the best cigars on the market" it was an Acid Krush Classic. i accepted it and then offered him an A/F Short Story. i dont know if he smoked it or not but i think i did the guy a favor!

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
ever try to humor a guy that doesnt know squat about sticks?? like tonight i went bar hopping and ended up at the local strip club. i was halfway througha vsg tres mystique when i walked in and the DJ noticed me smoking it. he went over to the bars (very small) humidor and offered me what he claimed is "one of the best cigars on the market" it was an Acid Krush Classic. i accepted it and then offered him an A/F Short Story. i dont know if he smoked it or not but i think i did the guy a favor!
Atleast he didn't give you a swisher.

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I don't even MENTION about Cuban cigars unless the other person brings it up...and I'll only continue beyond a cursory overview style of discussion if it's obvious that the other person is already knowledgeable about them.
I am typically the same. However, I find that most everyone that sees me smoking a cigar almost always brings up Cubans. Either to ask if I ever smoke them or to ask if there's any difference btw them and NC's. I find most have a preconcieved notion that Cubans are ridiculously expensive and people are usually quite surprised when I tell them pound for pound they're in almost the same price range as premium NC's. If someone is acting like too much of a know-it-all I have been known to embarras :agreesmil

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I might be to much old school but unless I know them well I don't have those discussions with anyone.

You probably changed his mind about what a great cigar is.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Great Acid?
it couldn't be any worse if it were battery acid. hehe

As far as other people's conversations I typically don't care. I'm bad about amusing myself at other's expense so I usually just chuckle to myself on the inside. I realize I probably only know about 10% on any given subject because I'm in to so many things rather than one particular subject. I feel like I'm doing us both a favor by keeping my mouth shut. As far as CCs are concerned I don't even discuss things like that with my wife little alone strangers.

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Great Acid?
it couldn't be any worse if it were battery acid. hehe

As far as other people's conversations I typically don't care. I'm bad about amusing myself at other's expense so I usually just chuckle to myself on the inside. I realize I probably only know about 10% on any given subject because I'm in to so many things rather than one particular subject. I feel like I'm doing us both a favor by keeping my mouth shut. As far as CCs are concerned I don't even discuss things like that with my wife little alone strangers.
I think many of us don't discuss this with our wives. :rofl:

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Maybe next time you play you'll be sober enough to see the cards.:bouncetau When you're playing hold'em, you can't have 4 deuces in your hand!!!

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
It's best to just let them go on about their conversation as long they aren't giving out blatantly wrong info. I've been known to inform people however that the number of fake cigars is high and unless you are buying from a LCdH, they probably were fake.