What's new

Think I might want to jump in the water

Rating - 98.7%
91   1   2
Wouldn't mind giving this a go but I don't know where to start. Obviously I need some tools and most importantly tobacco. My issue will be blending, I know what I like smoking and what I like tasting in my cigars but don't know what I will need to get that same experience. Seems like wrapper is pretty straight forward, but binders and fillers is where it seems like there is such a large selection. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I tend to suggest starting with this pretty blended kit to get the basics down and make sure you want to stick with the hobby:
http://wholeleaftobacco.com/Terroso-Profundo-CgrBlnd4.htm

Now, once you get the basics down and want to start experimenting with your blending I will pass along the advice given to me by someone in the industry I have a very high regard for. "A balanced blend must have seco, viso, and ligero". Sounds simple, right? Not really. Not all seco, viso, and ligero has the same strength respectively. As a blender you must learn the leaf you are working with. Once you learn the strength of the leaf in your kit the blending for strength becomes easier. Take note of the commercial sticks you enjoy and what fillers they may list if they list any. Most of us have done lots of trial and error.

Rating - 98.7%
91   1   2
I know most of the tools you can substitute with common household items, but what about a mold? Does it make the process any easier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I know most of the tools you can substitute with common household items, but what about a mold? Does it make the process any easier?

No more necessary than tapatalk. I would post a link to my be g inner vid here but I am too lazy rihht now. Shows how to roll with the minimum equip. No mold can still yield a presentable stick. Many just use a paper wrap for a mold.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Without the mold, the RG will be what it is. something that feels right / firm should have a tight draw and, may not burn. a little soft when rolled will then dry to draw and, burn well.
For a mold it would need to be the right amount of leaf, bound at the right pressure, to the right RG, to be pressed correctly to arrive at a RG.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for the help, MarcL. I was in the garage, smoking a gar, watching football, and enjoying a good rye whiskey when I mis-spelled that lazy post on my pocket Android.

MikeM326, that's what your target gar is for, is to show you how much leaf you need to stuff in.

My suggestion at this point is jump in the water and start paddling. What's the worst that could happen?

sent from my iDon'tNeedToBrag using Tapakeg

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
From someone who's only been rolling since last summer (July)
WLT kits are great. When I started I assumed that I wouldn't like the cigars made from the kit. The kit was 40 bucks, to to me, that was the price I would pay to learn HOW to roll. Once I learned HOW to roll a decent cigar then I played around with different leaf blends. I've rolled many that were terrible, and then a good many that were terrific. My earlier mistake was hashing some leaf together, let it rest a day, smoke it to fine out it was wonderful but I forgot what the blend was. So, write everything down when making a blend.

Don't worry about making your cigar look like one you can buy. Just make it smokeable.

So you order a kit of leaf. make some cigars and get started. You'll quickly learn what equipment you actually NEED to make the job easier.

Incidentally, you can play with leaf ratio with the leaf kit to see how moving the amounts around affect the flavor and taste of a cigar.

It's actually a lot of fun once you get into it. I now prefer the taste of my own cigars over the taste of commercial cigars.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
@MikeM326 -- What Cumberland you in? Is that the Cumberland County right across the bridge in Joisey? I'm here in Newark Dull-Aware. Jump in your car and pay the toll. We'll set right down with a stack of leaves and get you started. Send you home with a couple baggies to play with. Easy street.

Why not, right?

Rating - 98.7%
91   1   2
@MikeM326 -- What Cumberland you in? Is that the Cumberland County right across the bridge in Joisey? I'm here in Newark Dull-Aware. Jump in your car and pay the toll. We'll set right down with a stack of leaves and get you started. Send you home with a couple baggies to play with. Easy street.

Why not, right?
I am in Cumberland County PA. It is about 2 hours west of Philly.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Why not, right?
Were I within 2 hours of you and you made that offer to me, I’d be on your doorstep with take-out food and beer and a good attitude.