What's new

Thinking about a new integrated amp and speakers. Recommendations?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have an old Denon AV 2802 receiver with a pair of KBS Floor speakers from the 1990's. I am thinking of upgrading it and getting some new speakers. I don't need the receiver as I never use the radio on it so I am looking to replacing it with an integrated amp. Would like to keep this between $1500-2000. What would you guys buy?

BasicTek

I don't smoke cigars often... HaHa just kidding :)
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm not sure if they have the size you are looking for but people on some other forums I participated in seem to love Sonos, and with smart capabilities built in you may really like the integration with other technologies. I've been very happy with my klipsch system I've had for about 6 years but all the smart integration is done via my receiver as the speakers are just hard wired standard speakers.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We did a new Sony surround sound system about 4 years ago. It was the best one costed around $750 and then we added a extra subwoofer for another $200 or so. It sounds great and fills the room.

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Cambridge Audio make great integrated amps,many have USB ports and are Bluetooth ready. When and if my Yamaha dies this is the way I’m leaning. The CXA80 can be found on sale for under $800. Speakers depend on room size and configuration. Our main Music / Tv room is kind of small and we currently us a Bose Acoustimass 5 Series, but I’ll eventually switch back to Floor speakers. Not sure what though

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
We have a Definitive sub/ speakers/ center channel in our bed rood for the tv and they’re very nice. They make some really nice floor towers for around $1300.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Cambridge Audio make great integrated amps,many have USB ports and are Bluetooth ready. When and if my Yamaha dies this is the way I’m leaning. The CXA80 can be found on sale for under $800. Speakers depend on room size and configuration. Our main Music / Tv room is kind of small and we currently us a Bose Acoustimass 5 Series, but I’ll eventually switch back to Floor speakers. Not sure what though
I have been looking at the Cambridge audio CXA80. Interestingly enough I talked with Crutchfields today and that consultant recommended the Yamaha A-S701. My music room is large with space being no issue so I will be staying with floor speakers. Don't know which ones yet.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Your speakers will have the biggest impact on the sound. I suggest you take your time and listen to as many speakers as you can, there is a wide variety in speaker voicing. Also don't discount some of the vintage speakers still available if you look. If you look vintage I suggest some BIG JBL's, Altecs or Klipsch. Spend most of your money on speakers and the rest on the amp. And I agree that NAD is a good amp. Be patient.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a Denon AVR-X3600H with Klipsch speakers. I upgraded from an old home theater in a box to a new system that supports Dolby Atmos. Instead of a 5.1 surround I have added the height channels to make it 5.1.4. If the audio is simple surround sound it uses the 5.1 speakers and if it is Dolby Atmos, DTS-X or IMAX Enhanced it runs 5.1.4 to get sound above your head. Action movies are amazing in Dolby Atmos. Some streaming music is being produced in Atmos.

I even attacheda turntable and brought up my old LPs from the basement.

One thing I wouldn’t do is go wireless audio in anything other than stereo. Sonos just ended life for support and upgrades for most of their speakers over 10 years old. Any speakers running software have a service ending date in the near future. Here is a YouTube video with detailed explanation on smart speakers.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I am going to stay with the floor speakers I have as they are still very solid and the sound is excellent. I am going to upgrade the receiver to the Cambridge Audio CXA81. And of course I have to add a phono stage as well. Still researching and thinking. I am in no particular hurry.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw these Klipsch advertised on sale, you'd need to get a sub but these are a good start.
I think the one you have here is what is called new old stock. Personally, I think the price is high. i strongly suggest looking up Paducah Home Theater (Facebook and web) and Klipsch Owners on Facebook and join the groups. Think of their Facebook group as the BOTL of Klipsch knowledge. They have other sub-groups like a home theater group. You can learn a lot just by reading posts.

All the Klipsch gear I got recently is brand new in a factory box and I got 30% to 35% off MAP shipping included. Klipsch products as a rule sell at MAP. The guys sell B-stock, too. He currently has a bunch of B-stock posted. I got a Denon AVR-X3600H that lists at $1100 for under $800 shipping included. It is legit. They are a big Klipsch dealer handling entry level stuff to high end $10,000 per speaker Heritage Klipsch if you want. They sell other products too but mainly Klipsch.

joining these suggest groups is up to you. I got no skin in the game. I’m not soliciting for them. I’m only sharing my experience with them. You do what you wish.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Your speakers will have the biggest impact on the sound. I suggest you take your time and listen to as many speakers as you can, there is a wide variety in speaker voicing. Also don't discount some of the vintage speakers still available if you look. If you look vintage I suggest some BIG JBL's, Altecs or Klipsch. Spend most of your money on speakers and the rest on the amp. And I agree that NAD is a good amp. Be patient.
Speaking (...no pun intended...) of big JBLs, the woofers on my L65s need to be re-coned. I couldn’t find anyone locally to do the re-coming so gonna have to diy them. Any suggestions on where to get the kits?

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Speaking (...no pun intended...) of big JBLs, the woofers on my L65s need to be re-coned. I couldn’t find anyone locally to do the re-coming so gonna have to diy them. Any suggestions on where to get the kits?
I have never tackled anything like that, but you might checkout these guys. They have the kits and may actually do the work for you. I hope you get your Jubals up and singing again. Nice speakers!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Got the Cambridge Audio CXA 81 hooked up, turntable thru a Cambridge Audio phono pre-amp. Systems sounds fantastic. Anyone in the market for a new pre-amp that doesn't cost an arm and a leg ($1299) I could not recommend this one more highly.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have never tackled anything like that, but you might checkout these guys. They have the kits and may actually do the work for you. I hope you get your Jubals up and singing again. Nice speakers!

Thanks.

Never saw this company but didn’t necessarily look real hard earlier. Probably looking to do the re-coning in 3-4 months.